Finally going to Santee Cooper!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tatersalad, May 18, 2006.

1. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    My wife and I are finally going to Santee Cooper! We'll be fishing Sunday with Jim Glenn, hope to get her, and me, on some decent fish. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

:burn_joss_stick:

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I see you are taking no TSCHANTZs,and leaving nothing to TSCHANTZ,:lol: by hiring a guide.Sorry couldn't help it,my sense of humor takes over early in the morning!:tounge_out: Give us a report of where he takes you,how he fished and what you caught.Hope its the biggest ever for both of you.:smile2:

3. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    No prob Jim, the only other person who has made that joke grew up in Hamburg......

I feel really good about the trip so far, couldn't have asked for a better experience first time booking a trip. I'll keep you posted, and plan on learning as much as possible!

:cool2:

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Good luck, Pete!!!! Hope that you get into some bigguns :lol: I'll be going down there for the 1st time on Tuesday, and I"ll let you all know how I did.

5. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Pat, we'll have to get together sometime. You're only about an hour or so down the road from me.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good Luck Pete! I know yall will have a lot of fun. I haven't made it down there yet but I hope to this summer. If I get to go it will be my first trip also,
    maybe you'll bring back some good advice.

7. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    You got it Terry! Anyone looking for a weekend (or couple of day) trip, needs to look at this kind of thing. I was just gonna take the wife to Fontana, get a cabin and rent a boat for the day. 8 hour guided trip on Santee ends up being cheaper that 8 hours boat rental in the mountains, plus the chance at some healthy puddy tats.......

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I hope y'all do well and have fun. I had an invit. to fish Tuesday but can't afford to go currently because my wife and I are saving for our trip. We're going to TN for three at the end of June plus she won't get a check for two weeks between now and then. I haven't been down since May of 2004 but I hope to before the end of the year.

Good luck and remember to look for gators, not that they will bother you but because they are a pretty critter.

9. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    You guys have a great time ,pete. Are you going to Marion or Moultrie ?

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I hope to fish santee cooper one of these days. I have heard it is a fine BIG cat lake.

11. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    RiverRatSC, we'll be careful, and i always keep my eyes open for wildlife. Last Saturday we say a wild turkey hen fly across Big Allison and land about 25-30 yards away from us.

dwreel, we'll by fishin on Moultrie out of Bonneau Beach.

12. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Best of Luck Pete..........Hope you put a couple 40lbrs in the boat!

13. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I am sure we'll better our personal bests (won't be hard)
    :big_smile:

You and I have to get out some time soon, we're too close together to have any excuse!

Maybe we should have an Upstate get together......

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Sounds good to me but I work every weekend.

15. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I think we can probably work something out to handle different schedules.

Any one who would be interested let me know, and what your schedule is like. I don't have any problem doing the leg work to get something going.

16. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Pete, I would definitely like to get together! Perhaps at Lake Wylie, which is someplace I would like to get to know my way around. I'm pseudo-retired, so fishing during the week is no problem.

17. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    yeah me to i live about a half amile from ebenezer park im there alot i'm also oing to santee this weekend i'll fish sun and mon , but any time u want to fish wylie give me a holler

18. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Pete, You guys will enjoy santee, I've been going to santee since the mid 70's and every trip that i have made is always a blast. I have a friend that guides out of Harry's on the upper lake . we always have a great time....We go down and fish with him on his days off.......the flathead in my avatar came from I-95 bridge out of mill creek. Hope you guys catch a few bigguns, I live just a few miles from you, about 4 miles across the state line in Gastonia, Yall have a great time,and be careful. Smart thing using a guide the first trip. That place is a different world........:big_smile:

19. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Ah Yes Santee;
    I just got back from that great lake of Marion. I stayed at Randolphs Landing again this year, as I did last. Last year no fish in 5 days. $135 a day for a rented boat plus gas. Boat ran like shit. 1900 miles round trip.
    This year hauled my own boat down. About $30 a day for gas. 5 days no fish, one hit. Fished deep as I was told with whole shad. Fished shallow as I was told with fish heads and shad, with no fish, 1 hit. There were some being taken, but not many. We tried everything you could think of for bait and then some, no fish. Someone felt sorry for me and gave me a 24 lb flat and 4 blues 8 - 10 lb range. Got a flat on the trailer as I put the boat in the water. Fixed flat. Problem with tilt/trim which I resolved. On the way home the new cover I just bought for the boat ripped loose and broke a few rods in the process. Broke the new marine radio as well. They replaced the radio for me as well as the boat cover, but the rods were a loss. another 1900 miles round trip. I find that is either feast or famine at Santee-Cooper and I don't believe I will be running down there again to soon. There are cats closer to home. Maybe not as big, but when you catch none, a 20 lb'er up here seems big. This is just my adventures at Santee and hope others do better then we did. They are there, you just have to be in the right spot at the right time I guess. My watch must have been set to a different time that's all. Good luck to all that try it. Keep us posted on your results.
    John

20. skwerl

skwerl New Member

State:
    sc
    Sorry to hear that ADP. Look at my picture to see what I got on saturday. Things really slowed down from two weeks prior though. Someday I might get a guide, I just have a mental problem with it. It's kind of like asking directions, one of those guy things.
    However, if I was traveling more than a couple hours a guide would be a good investment.

Good luck to all of you!