Finally getting back on the Neuse River tonight.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAYNC, Jul 21, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yes, I am finally getting back on the Neuse tonight, haven't gone in over a month since the flooding, but the river level is finally back to normal levels, maybe even a little low. I will probably go down to spring garden area tonight and try it out. If anyone wants to go let me know soon and I will meet you there. Has anyone been out there, have the fish been biting. I haven't seen any posts of any monsters caught lately.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Jason, been following your reports on the Neuse and wondered what happened. Good to see ya back posting and on the water again. Good luck and hope you get a good one for the fishoff

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jason,
    Where have you been man? I haven't seen you on here in a long time! Good to see you back and good luck fishing tonight!

4. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have never fished the nuese but would love to try fishing there sometime know any good places to start

5. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i live in duplin county and fish northeast some but really like going to Ivanoe to fish black river for some nice channelcats but having hard time cathing water right to go very shallow part or river

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Friday night was a pretty good night on the Neuse. I ended up catching 5 flatheads with a total weight of 161lbs. The biggest was 45lbs and the smallest was 17lbs. I caught all of them on a shallow flat, approximately 2-3ft of water. All of them on live and cut breem. I should be going out again tonight if the weather cooperates.

7. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sounds like one of those trips I dream about.maybe I'll see you out there some time :cool2:

8. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    hope the weather is treating you better than me, no sooner than i got to the boat ramp sky turned dark and lightning began.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way to go Jason! We didn't know what happened to ya. Did you know that the Fish Off was extended to midnight July 31st. Get one in there for the team.:big_smile:

10. mountiancat

mountiancat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Fellow NC fisherman......I was wondering more about the Neuse around New Bern to say Newport...I lived in New Bern in the late 80's and early 90's and still have my dad and brother living there.
    I wasn't fishing much then, the ol' man isn't much of a fisherman, it's been quite a while since I visited them due to some family problems, but soon I hope to work through that and maybe make a trip down there.
    From what I was reading above, sounds like some nice flats coming out of there. If I was down there I wouldn't won't to miss out on that.
    Are the fish roughly the same size upriver in New Bern and where is the best place to put in??
    If I was able to bring a boat, I have a 14' wide bottom Crestliner Jon boat, motor problems right now, but workin' on that. From what I can remember, I would say it would work, I can't remember if they run barges on the river or not. Big wakes and my boat don't get along....:eek:oooh:

Anyway, don't know when the problems might be resolved but I'm trying to turn over new leaves in my life and would like to get down that way, maybe sometime in the future I could hook up with one of ya and take a fishin' trip while I visit........jus' wondering and never hurts to learn more bout rivers and people ,,,,ya know:lol:

11. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    we would be glad to show u around and hopefully get u on some big fishYou could launch right here at spring garden wich is 1 mile from our house.We usuallu do pretty good.You would have no problems with your boat in this part of the river.We catch a lot of big flats out of this area of the river.When u ready give me a PM if u want and we will get everything arranged,even if u didnt bring your boat there is enough of us that fish and u could go in one of our boats.I think its GREAT u are turning over new leaves i wish a lot more people woud do that.:wink: let me know