Finally getting a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by crusinman2002, Jun 7, 2006.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey yall... i'm finally getting a boat... i'm getting me a 14 foot jon boat, has nothing for fishing in it, so its going to take me a bit to get it to a cat boat... its got a 15 horse outboard on it... i have to look into it, but i was thinking about converting the center bench seat into a livewell... i have to make sure that its all sealed and all that, but i can seal it all myself if needed... the rear bench is already set up for storage... i'm adding rod holders all around... i'm adding some umbrella holders... mounting all the lights for night fishing, the bow lights, a stern light, an all around light, a spot light, a horn... up front i'm adding 2 ten gallon baitwells in the side corners, both lighted and airated... adding a 2 battery battery holder with a controll panel on the front side of it and putting it as far back as i can... getting a transom mount trolling motor for it... i'm getting some marine grade vinyl and some seat foam and making seat couchings with velcro on the bottom for all the seats... adding a fish finder... puttin the mount on there for the handheld gps i have... putting a portable mount cutting table in there that will mount to the bow when needed, but big enough and strong enough to hold a small propane stove for cookin up some dawgs and burgers fresh from the cooler.... thats all i can think of for now... it will be nice when its all done... i'll put some pics up once its done... i'm getting the boat in about a month or so... any ideas on how i should go about doing some of the stuff to it, or anything i should add to it or take away from it would be greatly appreciated... its a for sure thing that i'm getting this boat... just saving money right now to be able to drive up to wisconsin to get it and to get everything done to it when i get it... its coming from a family member, so it is for sure. i just need to get all my plans together of what i'm going to need to buy when i get it, so i'm starting early

2. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you have a plan. I believe I like rigging cat boats as much as I like using them! Good luck & enjoy!

3. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't know how far Wisconsin is from North Carolina (from where to where) but it sounds like a long way....I would highly recomend you get a set of wheel bearings before you start back (and pack the necessary tools to change the bearings) and a spare tire for the trailer.
    It wouldn't hurt to re-pack the existing bearings with grease before you leave with it either...if they haven't been abused they might be OK for the trip.

I've seen a lot of boats on the side of the road with burned up bearings and it often will ruin the axle too.
    And keep an eye on the tires especially if they've been sitting up for a while.

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey randy... thanks for the advice... i didn't even think bout the bearings... the trailer is up there, so i would be pulling it down from wisconsin... its about 900 miles... the trailer has a spare tire on it, but i was planning on getting another spare... just incase.

hey shannon... i just got done pricing out everything that i want to do to it... its going to cost me about a grand worth of materials and a bit of time to do it all... but it will be nice once its done

5. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Kennith , you may want to rethink the two 10 gallon bait wells unless the boat is really wide. With all the gear and a couple fishermen a 14 ft boat can get low in the water pretty fast.

6. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i don't know exactly how wide it is, but i was thinking that i could keep the livewell a dry holding area for fish i'm bringing home... i don't put anything into anything unless i am keeping it, if i'm not keeping it i just throw it back... that would save alot of weight in the boat if i needed to... which i think that i will need to save that weight.... its still a plan in work, which is why i put it up here so early... thanks for the advice... if you have any other ideas or suggestions, i'm open to anything... just trying to get a solid plan together so i know how much money i have to set aside to convert it into what i want.

7. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Kennith- Randy gave you some good advice. I recently got an old boat/trailer my dad had bought & pulled back (to Indiana) from his winter place in Florida. It sat in his garage for 10 years. When we pulled it out, I noticed 1 wheel leaning-out at the top. I checked lugnuts, and only had 8-10 miles to bring it home, so I wasn't overly concerned about the bearings at that moment, no further than I was going.

After tearing into the boat & trailer, I pulled-off the wheel. There was NO grease seal behind the inner bearing, and the stub axel was bent where the hub rides on it :eek:oooh: . Whoever had the trailer before dad, had put 2 different length leafsprings on it, with 2 different # of springs. I ended-up replacing the entire axle, hubs included. Also got 2 new springs, cut the hangers off & rewelded them so everything was now "uniform".

I also added "Bearing Buddies" which replace the dust caps on the hubs, then it's simply a matter of a few squirts with a grease gun to grease them, without having to dissassemble the hub assembly. Be sure to go over it good before hauling it too far.

Congrats & have fun!....but be safe.

Smitty

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    woo hoo... new info... my dad is bringing the boat down for me... :big_smile: i just got off of the phone with him... he wants to grab a car that i have sitting here from me to start a new progect... he just got done with a car and now he wants another one... lol... he loves to tear into stuff... so i'm going to have him look the trailer over really good and check the bearings and all that... thanks for the advice... keep it comin