finally found a problem with the boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Kojak, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I have had my boat out on the water quite a few times now and have been having trouble getting it to plane out. At first I thought it was because of too much weight in the rear. That doesn't seem to be the issue now. I can fully use my trim all the way up and all the way down. The problem comes when I try to accelerate or pull the trim up while moving, it will go up a little then the pressure from the prop pushes it back down. If I try to lift the trim while idling the motor falls back down at about half throttle. Any ideas on this, I suspect a leak somewhere that is making me lose pressure, just don't enough about them to start looking for the leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jerred, If I read your question right, your saying that when you raise your motor using the trim switch and put it in gear with an open throttle, the motor returns to the lowered position. If that so, to my knowledge that common. The trim only works for about the first 12 to 15 degrees. If you raise the motor above that, the force of the water pressure overcomes your hydraulics and lowers the motor. If you think about it, the next time your out run a check by barely raising the motor and see if it is returned to the lower position Put the motor in neutral, raise the trim, and give it full throttle. Once again stop by putting the motor in neutral, raise the trim slightly higher, and put it into full throttle. I think the motor will initially hold, but the higher up you raise the motor, the quicker it will return to the lowered position.

3. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is about what it does. I have somewhat tried what you said by just raising it a little, I think my problem last night might have been more of an overweight problem in the rear, I had 2 full tanks of fuel an extra 200# person and a little rain water that I didnt know was in there till later. I will see if the next outing is better, I have a little work to do anyway. Thanks for the reply and I hope you are right in saying this is normal.