Finally Finding Large Number of Catfish on Saylorville

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mdavis, Jun 15, 2009.

1. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just wanted to give everyone an update on Saylorville Cats (though I feel I’m the only one that catfishes on this reservoir). :)

I grew up on Red Rock and have spots where I could catch 1-20 pound cats all day and never had any luck on Saylorville when I tried. Long story short, Red Rock is just getting to be too far of a drive from West Des Moines while Saylorville is practically in my back yard. So last year I was determined to find the cats on Saylorville.

Here are maybe some useful facts about my fishing at Saylorville and what’s working for me:

• Cats are located on the northern end of the reservoir up towards Jester Park in-between 1 and 3 foot of water.
    • I have a fishing pontoon so I can move in under a foot of water to get to these spots.
    • I am trolling at about 1/2 mph with a wireless motor guide.
    • Floating bait under a bobber while trolling.
    • Catching them on whole raw shrimp soaked in Garlic and oil for a couple of days. I never have tried this till this year and I’m telling you…. this has been a killer combination so far. Think they look a lot like crayfish to the cats.
    • Catching fish between 1 and 15 pounds and missed a 20 pound + one yesterday.
    • Missing a lot of fish on circle hooks, about ready to go back to my kales.
    • Yesterday was so crazy that I had to go down to one pole because I kept catching doubles. Started fishing at 7:30 and ran out of bait at around 1:30 pm (had 20 shrimp).
    Attached a picture of the average size cats I’ve been catching (tuff to hold fish, camera and take a picture while my dog has to lick every fish when it’s first brought in). J

Hope this helps others that maybe fish Saylorville and will provide more updates as the year goes buy. I’m on the lake every Friday on most weeks.

Attached Files:

2. slim1

slim1 New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Are trolling\drifting near the channel, or just at random through the area out from jester?
    I went out Saturday evening and ran into a guy that was catching them drifting during the day from the mile long bridge down to the first cove to the north. He said it is mostly a day time bite, and they caught a ton of cats, but they shut down about 6:00pm.
    We ended up fishing from 8:00pm till about 3:00am and found a few nice fish in about 6ft. of water just south of the mile long on the west side.
    Any other baits working, or is your shrimp and garlic combo the only one working? Would love to get them figured out! Thanks for the tips.

3. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi there, I was out on Saturday morning at around 7:30am and off the lake at around 1pm. Caught about 20 cats in 3 hours but none of them where over 3lbs. Also, they completely shut off for me at about noon; did not catch one fish after that so called it a day.

I would say that lake has been an early or dawn bite for me in the parts I fish. I fish were you said the other partty caught some fish but I usually only fish there in late summer or on Fridays when I don’t have to deal with all the recreation boaters.

I use a trolling motor and move at about .5 mph with bobber rigs in 1-4 foot of water/river channel. I caught all my fish on raw garlic shrimp and vanilla shrimp. On this trip Vanilla beat the garlic by about 6 fish.

Right now the carp are spawning and cats are getting into their eggs and feeding. By my temperature readings the cats should be spawning very soon also.

I’m out on the lake every Friday and some Saturday and Sundays. I should be pretty easy to find, I’m the only pontoon south of the “low water” buoys out from big creek reservoir. Sometimes I use the Jester Park boat Ramp or the mile long bridge boat ramp….if you see a green avalanche truck parked at eather of those locations you'll know I’m out there somewhere. Come find me sometime if you want to see where/how I’m fishing.

4. slim1

slim1 New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Thanks! That is great info. I'm trying to get in as much as I can before the spawn.
    Sounds like timing is everything at saylorville. I'll keep that in mind.
    I have a blue lund 17' angler with a 115 on it, I'll say hi if I see ya.