Finally caught some catfish!!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by nlcatfish, Oct 24, 2017.

1. nlcatfish

nlcatfish Active Member

Dayton, Ky.
    Well I finally caught some catfish last week! I got out in my boat on the 19th., and fished the downtown section of the Ohio River. That was the first time I fished that area all year. I fished from 10:30 till 13:30, fished three different spots. The first two I never even got a tap. There was no current to speak of and the upriver breeze made me used the back anchor to hold the boat steady.

At 12:20 I caught my first catfish at my favorite spot. It was a very small channel cat only 11 inches and 9 oz on a piece of “red hot smokies” hot dog. Then at 13:05 I had a hard bite on my bobber rig but missed the fish, cleaned off the bait.

13:15 I hooked into a Bluecat that was 22 inches and 5 pounds also on the RHS.I did have one other bite that was on grape seasoned chicken breast. I DID NOT even get a tap on the thawed Gizzard Shad. I called it a day at 13:30 as the wind was getting stronger. I was pleased to not get skunked for a change; it has been too long a dry spell of not catching any catfish.

Oct 20th my brother & I got our lines in the river around 09:10. There was Very little current in the river and sunny sky. My brother hooked a 5 pound 23 inch Channel cat around 10:20 on a small whole Skipjack. I had a couple of taps before I finally caught a catfish. It was a 23 inch Channel cat but was 4 pounds 5 oz. on French fry seasoned chicken breast.

That was all the action of the day, so headed home around 12:45. Just as were leaving saw a C.F. check his hoop net about a half mile up river from our spot. So that helps explain why there are fewer and smaller fish now than in past years .
    Oct 21st. My son, grandson & I got out in my boat for some catfish. My son was an observer for he did not have a license. We had our lines in the water around 10:30. My grandson had a bite at 10:35 on the bobber rig but missed the fish. 10:40 I hooked a 15 inch 2 pounds 5 oz Channel cat. While my grandson was helping measure out the fish his bobber went down again. It was a nice size fish that got to a snag and we never were able to get it freed, had to cut the line. My grandson did catch a 19 inch 3 pounds 5 oz Channel cat. Both catfish were caught on chicken liver. 11:20 he caught a 11 inch Striper Bass on a piece of “red hot Skies”. He had several bites on that bait until we ran out of it, just no hook ups.

We fish till 15:00 no more action so called it a day. I has a wonderful time with my son and grandson, looking forward to doing it again in the future. I hope the skunk is off of me at last.
    Keith Mette and Catpaw like this.
  2. crcanter

crcanter Active Member

Good to hear you're getting into some fish, Norb! Congrats on breaking the dry streak.
    Catpaw likes this.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

Central Cail
    Way to go Norb.