Finally caught a Flathead catfish.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by HRCats, Jun 6, 2009.

1. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went to the Hocking river last night to try my luck once ore in catching a flathead. Had some shad and a few gills. Around 8 o'clock the pole with a 6" gill on it doubled over. I knew it was a good one. Removed the pole from the holder and eased back on it and felt the 8/0 gama circle pop in place, this flattie was not getting off! After what seemed like hrs trying to get this flattie out of the brush i finally got it close enough that the wife could get the net under it.
    Now you guys that are deer hunters know about this next part. I was yelling at my wife not to let it touch the ground but too late....shrinkage! What started out as a 50 lb Hocking flathead ended up a 2 lb hocking flathead.:embarassed: Oh the disappointment!!!
    Equipment used:
    12' American Nite Stick
    Abu Garcia 6500C3
    Berkeley Big Game 20 lb test
    6 oz no roll sinker
    8/0 Gama Circle
    6" bluegill for bait

Attached Files:

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Well Roger ya broke the ice:wink: Congrats on a nice Flattie.

3. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    man o man that thing took a 6 in gill hungry little boogers so you dont leave the spool open and the clicker on ?? is this common practice among BOC members, or am i about the only one who does it the above mentioned way ?? didnt mean to step on your toes in the post just wasnt sure thanks

4. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Nice catch Roger. Leaves you plenty of room for improvement... But least you broke the ice and are on board...

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats Roger! That beats getting skunked any time!:cool2:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Roger for sharing a neat story. You had me believing you had a hold of a 50# flatie. One has to start somewhere, each year.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats man on the flathead .....rollo

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio

No it dont, Roger would much rather take a skunking than catch bait like that:big_smile:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree, a good run on a good bait, then a lil fish, Id rather get skunked too! :wink: rollo

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I keep telling my man Roger...He knows once the spawn is over, where the big fish will be...I am getting laid off this week..he is already laid off...He will get his 3-4 big fish come late July thru October.

My winter predictions of April for his first big fish were a little bit off, I cant help that he sucks really bad:big_smile::wink:

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats,i bet jack jack could have stretched that thing a few pounds for ya :wink:

12. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey Roger, think I can get in on that shot? You hold the head and I'll hold the tail... that way we'd both have something to show for this year!:eek:oooh:

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    well thats better than none if you were at the mill i got a 17.2 outta there 2 weeks ago hope they get bigger for ya good luck in the future

14. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    That's still a good looking flatcat, now go out & catch it's grandaddy....:big_smile:

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

:smile2::smile2::smile2: If it was a Channel it'd be some great bait!
    Ya gotta start somewhere, my first flattie of the year was a lil smaller than that I think...:embarassed:

16. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Toby, anytime i use a circle hook i never use the clicker and let em run....unless i need to sleep!!! :wink: And yes losing a big gill to a small flathead sucks!!! But it'll happen that nice one will be mine soon enough!!

17. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    ok man i needed to know never tried that before do you let you line go slack or keep it tight ??like i said a clicker is the best sound to me in the world

18. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    man u had me thinking it was going to be a big ol 50lber story till the very last part , that was good buddy,:big_smile:

19. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    If that fish aint every bit of 50lbs, I'll eat my hat!

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    One step at a time, Roger!:cool2: