Finally caught a catfish!

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hawghaul, Aug 26, 2009.

1. hawghaul

hawghaul New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The lady and I have been fishing Monroe Reservoir for months now with no luck, until today. We were setting up at Cutright SRA, on the Indiana Bass Federation dock across from the boat ramp, and I felt like it might be a good day. Had a dream last night about catching flatties, so it had my spirits up. We had been sitting on the dock fishing just below the docks themselves, into the shallows, just catching small bluegill and crappie, with my big pole out into the main cove behind us.

After about 30 minutes, I decided to get up and move around a bit. As we were moving our stuff to another side of the dock, the little lady sees my pole bend and the line go taut. WHAM! I had baited it with shrimp and tossed it about 50 feet out, so it was her job to haul him in. We thought it was a log at first because there was a huge piece of brush attached to the line, but then our swimmer took off under the docks and left the log behind. We reeled him in, I got some nice cuts on my hand, and enjoyed every second of it. Its funny how amateur we are, but its good fun. Going out again tonight. Hoping for some more! Here are some pictures...

10lb., 32 inches!

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the mighty BOC family Taylor. Glad to see you've caught your first cat. I bet your hooked now.. and if you aren't time you learn all the stuff on here you will be. :smile2::wink: Hope you enjoy the site.

3. hawghaul

hawghaul New Member

State:
    Indiana
    After I got my hand out of his mouth and put him on the scale he wouldn't open his big ole lips again for me to grab him. Freaking silly.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    :smile2: He's sayin alright buddy youve got my weight.. PUT ME BACK!

5. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Nice catch man, It's been a while honestly(about 15yrs) since I've caught anything that big. Just started back this year and would be thrilled with a catch like yours.

6. hawghaul

hawghaul New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So true. We released him right off the scale. He wouldn't even give me the chance to grab him and put him back, just put him in the water and let him swim off the scale.

7. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    you sure thats a flattie?

8. hawghaul

hawghaul New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No, its a channel cat. I was having dreams about catching shovelheads, but we only managed this boy.

9. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    congrats on the catch man.....just making sure you knew what it was....good luck tonite:wink:

10. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Welcome to the BOC and nice catfish for a first I am giving you reps for releasing it:wink:

11. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the BOC Taylor hope to hear more stories and see more pic

12. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good catch bub ,keep em coming

13. hawghaul

hawghaul New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Can't wait to catch another. In the same area we were at today, and have been at lately, some people seem to have had luck catching flatties as well. Earlier in the morning rather than later seems to be the norm. Might even try to steal a couple more hours at the lake before work tomorrow.

Thanks for the warm welcome and all. If anyone is ever down in the Bloomington area and wants to come to my home waters or show me some new places to hit, let me know. I'm always up for some good fishing and so is the girlfriend.

14. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    welcome to the bic taylor :tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out: :cool2::cool2: congrats on the channel :cool2::cool2:

15. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cutright has alot to offer... I have been there only twice this year but caught alot of 8-13 pound channels.. I need to get back down that way soon.. I have caught a few flatties there also...