Finally, a result to post!

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by SilencedMajority, Oct 8, 2006.

1. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Well, I finally had some success last night. All thanks to Micah, we got to our spot near Eucalyptus below the Diversion Dam on the Salt about 7:00 p.m. Since it had just rained the day before, the water was all mixed, so I threw in a ball of nightcrawlers on a 7/0 Octupus Circle out there while I rigged my other pole. Not five minutes later my pole was bent in the holder to the ground. Picked it up, and fought this fish with a medium-light rod and 25lb test Berkely Big Game, and what a battle. Got him onto shore and could not believe the size of this guy, this is only my second flathead I have ever caught, after a summer FULL of fishing with NOTHING to show for it. I have to thank all of you for tips and everything, especially Micah for hooking me up with the spot! I don't have a scale now, but I'll be ordering one right now. I wish I could have known how heavy this guy was, just to have some sense of comparison.

I'm probably wrong, but my best guess (from weight training) would be in the 50s? I haul those 45 plates around once in a while, but this guy had my arms aching just taking photos. Let me know what you guys think.

THANK YOU BOC

p.s. He was CPR'd as soon as possible. With alot of my hand left in his mouth :)

Attached Files:

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    great flathead congrats . I think you are right on the weight

3. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    That's one nice fish you have there.:smile2:

I don't know about the weight, but your probably close.

Now that you know how to do it, go get them big uns!

Ken

4. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Nice flattie & I bet it was a hell of a battle. Where exactly did you catch it, wasnt at the spot i had suggested at the end of eucalyptus down the stairs?
    p.s. good job on the cpr !

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We have some members that could guess that fish close with a little info. How long was the fish, if you don't know then how tall are you. I believe it will go over 50, just my guess

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I forgot..................Congratulations Great fish.........................

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you for sharing,thank you for CPR,and congradulations!Man what a fish!:big_smile:

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    WOW!!!
    GREAT FISH!!!!

I'm glad you got your fish, that thing is huge..

You look like a tall dude, and that fish still looks big next to you...
    *** My guess is 30-40lbs..

Do you have the measurments???

Once again bro nice job!! And good photos!
    :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

9. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    That is a great fish. You do need to get a scale. Congratulations!

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    man thats a nice fish hope it was worth the wait thanks for nice pics

11. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    cool2: Nice Fish!!! Think I'll sell the boat and go to the river glad to see you nail " em" !!!!

12. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    It still blows my mind that I hooked him on a gob of nightcrawlers....

Anakin: Caught him right where you told me, just right from the end of the stairs. There was a TOTAL MESS of dead carp on the bank though, but we stuck through the stench all night just to be able to fish. There had to be about 50 dead, rotting, bloated 10lb carp all over the bank. It looked like they got caught in a channel when the river went down a little after this week's rains.

I am 5 feet 11 inches, I wasn't thinking at the time, from all I learned at this website, it all went out the window as soon as I beached him. I should've at least taken a length. My best guess is approximately 53". He was a heffer in my mind. Oh well, the weight doesn't bother me that much, I try not to let fishing inflate an ego, in fact, I enjoy fishing for its ability to humble me, like it has every other time this summer.
    Thank you all.

13. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    great flat there brother congrats

14. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Lovely, im so glad to hear you caught it at that spot! Its awesome to see the sharing of info is paying off & allowing us to see more of the big fish that our az waters has to offer. We outta meet up there one of these days, if not this year, next year for sure.

15. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My fish calculator that I have on my phone says that 53" translates into 71 lbs, that might be quite a bit off, my best guess would be in the low to mid fifties, the fish looks quite fat, it could have been picking off some weak carp. That is one hell of a fish, keep it up.

Aaron

TA2D

16. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    C:big_smile: ongrats brother that is one nice fish.

17. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Super Fish Tony!!! My Guess is thats It's all of #50 pounds. One nice thing about Fishing is That Bad Boy will get bigger each tine You Talk about it, And in no time that fella will be topping #75.LOL.Rep. Points to You Sir.J.D.:0010:

18. USMC4u

USMC4u New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yeah I would say thats about right. Man Im still waiting on my monster

19. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Tony,

Dude, that is one sweet looking fish! I knew that you would do it...I just knew it.

Now you, Andy, and Dwaine are going to have to take me fishing!!!! You pros are catching the big ones.

I would guess that it probably weighed around 40lbs. Needless to say, that is a beauty!!

Ryan

20. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'm envious. Got to get back on the water real quick. Great fish.