Finally -a flathead (and other assorted fishies)

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by jerryb, Oct 26, 2007.

1. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Had a good night on the lake last night... caught a mess of crappie, couple of nice size channels, a couple of bullheads (if only I knew then what I found out this morning on the site about using them for flathead bait!).... oh yeah, also got this flathead!:roll_eyes:

I know it's not a monster by any means, but for me, and where I've been fishin', it's not too bad I spoze... it measures out to 24" - I don't have a set of scales (which I'm going to be adding to my "Need to get" list), so I'm guessing it at about 5 - 7#... I'm sure you all probably have more accurate guesses...

Now for the one that got away!! Holy cow!!! I tied into a nice channel!! The guy that was fishin' with me tried to get him into the net, but he wouldn't fit (it's a small net, but still...)... got his head into the bottom of the net, but about two thirds of him was still in the water... he reached down to try and grab him by the gills, but when he did the cat thrashed and the hook was thrown... we estimated this thing was probably 34 - 36" long...:cry:

Anyway, I learned a lot on this trip... was a very nice evening!

Attached Files:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jerry, congrats on the sucessful trip. now, don't scare me, wheres the flathead? lmao:embarassed: :crazy::eek:oooh: rollo

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    got you some nice looking fish there. i think that i a blue or a channel though. congrats on the catch. you will get a flat soon.

4. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    Thats a nice mess of fish Jerry but I dont want to burst your bubble but I dont think that is a flathead it looks more like a small blue to me, but still a nice catch

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Looks like a good mess of fish.

6. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i cant really tell the difference. i dont belive there is any in the gmr where i'm at. only channels and flatts. i wish there was blues. i read some where there moving into the gmr and other places off the ohio. but at first glance i'd say male channel. but after looknig at its back bottom fine. its alot longer and less round . then the channels i have ever landed. i landed one the other night . and its color was a very baby blue color. realy bright . hard to explain. but looked like a few blues i have seen in pictures. color any way. but from looking at everyones pictures. every fish can be different colors. from yellow flatts to blackish brown you know? i wishi had the experience to know the difference. so i say blue or channel no doubt .

7. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    but...but...but...

It's head was big and flat... skinny body... top lip overlapped bottom (by quite a bit).... didn't have the deeply forked tail like a channel... I really don't think it's a channel... but then again, I've only been at this for a few months... :embarassed:

Caught at Knox Lake - small 150 acre lake... would there be blues in there? I thought they were more of a "big water" type fish....?

When i pulled it out, the guy that was on the dock immediately called it a shovelhead - that would be the same as a flattie, right?

I still have the corpse frozen... I spoze I could try and get other pics of the head if that would help decide...
    *sigh*

PS. If it is indeed a flattie I know I probably should have put it back, but didn't have a camera, was pretty damned excited at thinking I had a flattie, plus I need ammo for the wife to allow me to go back out.... :wink:

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    A flatheads mouth is just the opposite of what you described. Thanx for sharein the story and pics.

9. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry - bottom lip overlapped top. Too early in the morning, not enough coffee.

I'm going to pull it out and get some more pics. I can't stand not knowing for sure.

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It's definitely a channel cat, but keep trying with live bait, and you're sure to get one soon!

11. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Counted the rays on the anal, and there's 26 of 'em... Here's what threw me off so bad:
    1. Major case of wishful thinking! When the guy told me it was a "shovelhead", I jumped on it and didn't wanna leggo... :embarassed:
    2. The tail isn't nearly as deeply forked as any other channel I'd caught (see picture).
    3. The general body shape. This one had a big, flatter head and a much more narrow body than any of the channels.
    4. The eyes. While the channels I've caught had round eyes right on the surface of their head, this guy's eyes were more narrow and set into his skull...

I'm going to post some "autopsy" photos I just took. Maybe you all can see why why I was confused... .

Attached Files:

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Jerry, that is a channel cat for sure. In our area of Ohio we catch the regular channels with the greenish body, with smaller ones with speckles. These have a regular sized mouth. Then we have what I call a blue channel not to be confused with a Blue Cat. The blue channel, probably male has a definite bluish hue, as well as a much larger mouth and during the spawn, puffy lips.

A small flathead is un,istakeable in our parts. They will typically be a dark brown with balck spots. Their heads are unmistakeably flat, like their head was caught in a vise at birth. Their tails have zero fork, in fact, the center of the tail is longer than the ends from almost straight to a semi circle. They are a beautiful fish. If catfish were football players the channels would be the wide receivers and the flatties would be your fullbacks.

Regardless, nice batch of fish there. Skip would love to use those crappie for bait.

13. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks, Shawn (and all the rest!)...

This is why I hang out here so much - there's always sumptin' to learn!
    :big_smile:

(sho' wish I could edit this thread title now... heh heh heh)

14. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    Jerry at least you are trying and I for one just love to see a guy get that exited after catching a fish just goes to show how much you enjoy the sport Keep trying Buddy and you will get the big flattie sooner than you think

15. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jerry,
    It looked like from the pics that you got two nice filet's off him, just wondering how he tasted or if he has hit the skillet yet? rspd507

16. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yea thats a good eater size fish there don't worry about CPR on that one man.just remember 10+ is a must to go back. IMO

17. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah, I'm sure I acted like a li'l schoolgirl... I admit it... :smile2:

18. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Naw, ain't done 'em up yet... I'm wanting to try and get out one more time this week and have the gang over, but I dunno... lookin' kinda iffy... but I'll let ya know!

19. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    10+? Count on it... and I'll have so many pics you all will be sick of it... :smile2:

20. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    you'll get that first flattie and when you do make sure you let us all know.the ohio river is a good place to put in some time-because if you fish it long enough in some of the spots other guys use you are bound to catch one.when i first started flathead fishing i wasnt fortunate enough to have a place like this to go to ,where people help you the way our brothers and sisters can help here,so i would just look to see where burned out campfires were and litter(unfortunately)and fish those spots.im sure if you PM a couple of the folks on the page(including myself)we could definetly put you where the flatties hide.good luck!!!!