Finally a connection

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Redd, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    A friend of mine and me went fishin' at the dam once again, and finally came back with something other than a channel. I caught two blues, one being around 8 pounds and the other around 5 or 6. My friend also caught a 5 or 6 pounder and had one break his line. We thought the blues would be spawning and were actually after flatheads. But when we filleted our fish, every single one of them still had their eggs in them. We fish in S.E. Kansas and the water we figured was warm enough they should've started spawning a long time ago. I guess that's what we get for thinkin'...:big_smile: Awhell, I'm definately not complaining. Although they weren't big blues, but they're better'n nothin'.

-Red

2. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    something is always better than nothing.....

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sometimes catfish was spawn twice if conditions are right. You might have caught fish that has already spawned once.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have heard that blues under ten pounds don't spawn. it was said that they don't reach that maturity level till around 10 or 11lbs.

5. deerdust

deerdust New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Awesome job Redd. Ya got ya a tastey mess of fish there.:wink:

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    J.W. would that mean I seriously miscalculated the weight of these fish?:big_smile: ....I sure hope so. Or would they produce eggs without actually spawning? idk. Thanks for the info.

-Red

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah they will produce eggs every year before they are sexually mature.

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice fish, but it is suprising that they havent spawned yet. Maybe they do produce and then just flush there system.