Finally a big flathead catfish

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by matahone, Jul 30, 2009.

1. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I made a road trip yesterday to The Wabash River with a buddy and met a couple of BOC members. I had hopes of catching a big blue or flat. I stopped at Norway Dam and Oakdale on my way by to get some shad for the evening festivities..., no luck. When I got to the ramp I called rdwolf03, he was on his way to the ramp also to fish for a couple hours. He told me of a few places to try for bait and to follow him. Well I followed until the water got to shallow for my boat but I did find one of the bait places..., nothing. This is going to be a long night with what little bait I brought. It was about 10:30 when Doug and Ben came back through calling it quits. They stopped and talked for a few and gave us the rest of their bait. It was time to move into some of the spots I spotted earlier. Finally found one and set-up. 10 minutes (11:30p.m.)later my clicker starts going then stops, and goes again. I grab the rod feel for a fish, set the hook and it is on. 20 minutes later I have my first ever big flat in the boat!:big_smile: He weighed in at 40 pounds, was 44" inches long and had a 25" girth! Oh yeah I almost forgot, about 5 minutes into the fight with that one we had another run but missed the hook-up. :sad2: After the photo shoot it was released. We fished that spot for about another hour, had a few other runs but never could get a hook-up. It was time to move. We tried a couple other spots with nothing and decided to move closer to the ramp only to find really shallow water, really foggy. After 20 mintues we were on the move again. Found another spot that matched conditions of where the first came from and set-up. 10 minutes (3:05 a.m.) my clicker goes again. This time it doesn't stop. Grab the rod set-the hook and 15 minutes later the cloudy water reveals a 22.9#, 38", 21" girth flattie!:big_smile: My second big flattie! I did keep this one for the wife to see and for a fish fry. That was all we caught last night but it was worth the trip. Thanks for the help Doug and Ben. It was nice meeting both of you.

Attached Files:

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    congrats on the nice flatties

3. peechykeen10

peechykeen10 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good job dude :cool2:

4. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice fish bud!! Looks like you have a new avatar :wink:

5. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Real nice fish,congrats!Glad to see someone finally got a nice fish,been real slow here.

6. duff

duff Guest

Good job Cal. What was the bait?

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cal thanks for sharing your fishing trip and the pics of the big flat. Congrats on the PB. WTG.

8. rdwolf03

rdwolf03 New Member

State:
    indiana
    glad to here u had great luck .I was sure u guys would catch some flatties we had some good action before i had to leave for work . Ben got broke off and missed a nice one .ben never got the rod out of the rod holder before it broke his line . That rain help abunch. i left work at 3:30 and put in by interstate 65 at a private ramp fish till 8:00 am caught a few in the 20# to 25# range .I ran out of bait or i still be fishing. Were from we left u did u get the big flatty.

9. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wow! Congrats Cal! That's a nice one! Guess I won't miss the next trip down there :sad2:

10. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    congrats on the flattie cal

11. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    congrats on the catches :wink:

12. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Downstream in 7 foot of water.

13. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good deal Cal, glad the trip down wasn't a bust for you guys. Too bad I couldn't put the one that broke off in the boat that night. Anyway nice meeting you both, hopefully we can meet up and get some fishing done again sometime- possibly when the river is up a little higher. It's sitting below normal September levels right now.

You guys end up getting any bites in the hole you were fishing when we stopped on our way back to the ramp?

14. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those are some nice flatties! Congrats on a great trip...enjoy that flathead meat, too!

15. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    nice flatties cal! way to go!:cool2:

16. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard the BOC Cal an congrats on the nice catch. Thanks for the pic!

17. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I had one bite about 10 minutes after you left.

Ryan,
    The bait was cut shad.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on a nice flathead !!! :cool2:

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro