Filtered Cigarettes for catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by catfishmerle, Jun 28, 2007.

1. catfishmerle

catfishmerle New Member

State:
    Liberty, MO
    Recently bought a boat full of gear from the widow of a old gut who died from cancer. While going through the lining stuff, I found weights, hooks, line, and hundreds of what appeared to be filters from cigarettes, capri cigs to be exact, purposely placed in bottles to keep them dry. Is this a secret fish catching method? PLease share.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Now thats weirrd...???...

I can't imagine any self respecting catfishermen smoking Capris:boss:

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have seen people use filters instead of swivels to keep the weight away from the hook

4. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I thought I'd heard it all. Wow. Great idea though -- but how are they used? I mean, I figure they're used like bushings or something to keep your weight from impacting your knot, but how do you thread the line through them?

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I think you just found the guy's ashtray......

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm sorry, but at least 50 post are required before secrets like this are released. You never know who is watching.

Like Spoon said, Capri? Come on! Didn't he read the list? Capri was not even on the list, much less in the top 10. He must have really been confused, after all, you did say he kept them dry, didn't you? But then again, you did say you found them tucked away in the boat wall, didn't you? Ok, maybe he did at least know part of the secret.

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Now, did you say they were Capri filters...or "what appeared to be filters from cigarettes, capri cigs to be exact"? It's that "appeared to be" that throws me off.

Lemme put on my sleuthing cap. I'd smoke a sherlock holmes pipe while I think this out, but I quit smokin...so I'll just do *this* with my hands.

Mmmmm...(looking through obscenely large magnifying glass)...So, if they were Capris, well they better have lipstick on them. If not, he smoked Capri cigarettes and was a total wuss of extraordinary degree. But if they had lipstick on them, then they belonged to the feller's mistress who was a CATFISHIN MISTRESS. These are a rare breed. Even if she's like 80, you really outta track her down and see what she's up to. Then again if she's smoking Capris, she probably didn't see 80.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I think your on to something, Alex. He did say they were hidden in bottles in the walls, or did I read it wrong? I'd have hid them too, if that were what I smoked. I'd of hidden them even better if they belonged to a mistress. lol

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Maybe he used them to put over his hook points for storage.

10. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Ol' Dafin got it right. I have fished with alot of ol' timers that used them to keep the weight away from the hook. Now as far as using capri's instead of normal cigs, I havn't a clue.

11. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    maybe he didnt want to pollute the water with cig. butts...lol

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Could have snipped off small pieces and fished for bluegills. I've caught many,many gills with them. They were a 'Cowboys' brand but they worked.
    Hope this helps or gives ideas!!!:big_smile::crazy::cool2::wink::smile2:

13. mospurs

mospurs New Member

State:
    missouri
    Was he ex military maybe.Fieldstripped but not throw out non biodegradables possibly, I suppose.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The mystery thickens and continues.:smile2:

15. Hoile

Hoile New Member

State:
    Shaw AFB, South Carolina
    Smoked or unsmoked? Ive heard of people pulling out channel cats with smoked cigarette butts, but more from an experimental aspect or just drunk. I havn't heard of butts as preferred bait though.

16. bobbabouy

bobbabouy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL, this has been an entertaining thread.

I have been using a cig butt in place of a swivel for several years and they work great. When rigging up, put on a slip sinker, then just use a simple loop (like when tying your shoes before you make the bunny ears), put the butt in the loop and pull it tight. Then tie on your hook. It is very quick and the only knot is the one at your hook. A knot is usually the weakest point in your line, so you will lose fewer sinkers.

I haven't bought a swivel in over 5 years.:eek:oooh:

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    He stuck one in each ear to keep from hearing his wife or fishing partner talk. They make the perfect ear plug.

18. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Around here, our catfish prefer smoking Marlboros. Don't give 'em filtered ones, though...unfiltered only. Them cats the fellow was after much have been a bunch of pansies to smoke them Capris, but it would explain him cuttin' off the filters... :eek:oooh:

19. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OR maybe he rolled his own smokes, leading to the disease that finally killed him?

20. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    The world my never know the end of this story, but what a guy does on the water, stays on the water.:big_smile: