Filleting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JMarrs328, Apr 25, 2007.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    what is the best, easiest, and fastest way to fillet my catch?

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    cats i assume. lol i just cut down the back on both sides of the spine till you pass the ribs. then lay cat on its side and poke the knife through just behind the ribs. slide knife along the spine till the fillet comes off. free the fillet from ribs then skin the fillet with the knife as with panfish. if the cats big trim all the red meat off the fillet. mite even be a video or some link to one somebody else knows of.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to skin mine first then fillet as the above post describes,

4. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fillet the cat and then fillet the skin

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    The best way I've found is to cut their tails off and let them hang for a few min. till they bleed out. I guess there's a major vein or something that runs down their bodies. After they are bled out, I'll lay them on their side. Then I'll cut a line into their spine usually from about the top fin down to their anus (to avoid the rib cage and guts, you can feel where they are). Most of the eaters I fillet aren't big enough to mess with the meat around the ribs and belly meat anyway. After I've cut the line, I'll lay my knife flat against the spine and fillet the meat off. Then with plyers (or I've actually got a little skinning tool) I'll grab onto the edge of the meat (just enough to get a grip) on the tail side and cut down to the skin. Then i'll lay my knife flat with a little of an angle and put some pressure on it (my knife flexes a little) and then pull on the plyers. Should slice all the skin right off real easy. Hope this helps.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah i got a vid some where i was going to send to paul be darned if i can find it any way i do as some have said but i cut their throat while they are alive and let them bleed to death that way the meat is much cleaner then after the fellet is off the bone i cut it from the skin and remove any pink meat and silver fat these make for a bad taste all the white meat is then cut into 1/4 strips across the grain of the fellet and placed in quart bags filled with water and frozen or just tossed in corn meal and lemon pepper and deep fried see the below link

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41378

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Here is just a little tip! The fish I plan on keep for the table, I put on a stringer and just before I get ready to leave, I cut the gills on the cats and drag them behind the boat for 3or4 min. This will bleed them out and make it much nicer when you fillet them. There is no blood to be seen. Once I bleed them I put them On ice to keep them nice and fresh.
    Sparky

8. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I cut the tails off to bleed also. I use an electric fillet knife on cats, makes it alot easier.

9. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Cut the tail off and bleed 'em
    Fillet the meat off
    Keep the skin on and throw 'em on the grill. The skin will loosen up and fall off as it cooks. Then just throw away the little shrivled pieces of skin and eat the meat.

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    fillet em? I just cut there heads off and drop em in the fry daddy

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i drop them head first in a 5 gallon bucket after cutting their throat and save their blood and liver , heart and any eggs to freeze in the ziplock bag with my shad that are left over it makes good chum later .

12. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    exactly what i do. Dont cut it all the way off the fish though so you can fillet the skin off