Filleting shad steps:

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 17, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I will post the steps along with the pics on how I fillet shad (down below)

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Cutting Shad fillets is just about like filleting any other fish and this is how I do it.

Step 1: First scale the shad gently and make a cut right along the top of the ribcage like this.

Attached Files:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Step 2: Then turn the knife and fillet the meat off the backbone like this....

Attached Files:

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    This is what the shad looks like after I've filleted it on one side.......

Attached Files:

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Step 3: I'll then flip it over and scale it then fillet the other side as well. I also use the head so one shad will make 3 baits for winter fishing.

Attached Files:

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Here you can see how I hook the fillets and the heads......

Attached Files:

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Work's great for me esspeicaly in the winter for blue's and channels......Good luck! :)

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Personally, when using a shad of that size for blues, I like to leave the gut pocket attached to the head; just continue the cut through the backbone where you made the first cut. Actually, I may need to adjust that point slightly, because I want to just cut through the back of the body cavity so it's open enough to let out juices/scent/odor, but not large enough that the guts fall out. Since I will usually only use the head if I am targeting larger blues, I don't have to worry about the bait being too large. If I am targeting eating size blues, I simply cut the shad into 1" steaks, throwing away the tail, and possibly keeping the head in reserve in case I run short of bait. Despite the fact that I like using the heads for larger blues, my largest blue, about 65#, was caught on one of the 1" steaks.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I like using that technique for the winter mostly. It seems big cats will eat smaller bait alot more in the winter, probaly because there metabolism is alot lower in the winter. In the warmer months I usually just use a whole shad. Or a huge piece of cut bait of some kind.

Good luck :)