Filleting panfish

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by trctrdr, Jan 11, 2010.

1. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just curious as to how long it take you to fillet a fish, and I'm talking about removing the skin and all bones. I can usually do about one panfish a minute if I don't have too many to do (15-20) If I have a lot though my average slows quite a bit. I'm not counting time to clean up etc.
    So, be honest and let me know. Also do you use an electric knife, I just got one as a gift but haven't had a chance to try it out yet,,,Soon I hope.
    Mark

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am fairly quick, I dunno about time, etc. But, a good catch for me to fillet is anywhere from 40-60 big gills or crappies. I don't use an electric knife, and fillet them by myself usually. It is a good bit of work, but man is the eating good! rollo

3. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    It takes me around 5 min to fillet a big gill I've never cleaned a crappie. Only done it once this year and haven't done it for about 10 years before that. I am faster with catfish because I have done it more.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    couple minuted each ona good day..on a regular day i tear them up almost too bad to eat :(

5. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    Less than a minute,i use an electric knife,that really speeded the filleting time up.when you get the feel for it with the electric knife,it becomes second nature.

6. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    It goes quick with those electric knives.

7. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Same as you. About a minute or less. Like Rollo. I fillet them manually no electric knife. One of my old fishing Partners and I, from Northern Ohio. We lived on the Oh. Pa. Stateline and use to go out alot and catch our limit of 50 Crappies and usually a few Walleye's From local Pa waters. Bring em' back to my place and sit at the kitchen table cleaning em'. After we were done. I'd throw 3 skillets on the stove and get to frying em' up...

8. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I don't use an electric knife. It take me about 2 minutes. Most of the time I do a good job but once in a while I mess one up and waste some meat.

9. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    It takes me about a minute and a half. But cats are definitely easier!

10. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I too mess one up once in a while, almost impossible to fix it after you cut through the spine, I usually end up dropping that one in the bucket to feed the coons and buzzards. That's another thing, we used to bury or freeze the leftovers till one day we tried just dumping them down by the little creek behind my house, if you walk down there the next morning there usually isn't anything left but a few bare skins. Sometimes there will be six or so buzzards that come and eat there. Kinda cool getting that close to one of them.
    Mark

11. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yum, Yum

12. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Catfish take me a while. I nail their heads to a board, skin them and fillet them. Crappies are pretty easy if you have a good sharp fillet knife. Usually only take a minute or two. The smaller the crappie the harder it is to fillet if you ask me.