Filleting Method - What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Spongiform, May 16, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This method looks pretty simple and easy. What do you guys think?

2. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I have been using that method for several years. by filleting the skin off , rather than skinning it , you get rid if the silver underskin. Seems to improve their taste too. Soak in cold salt water, then cook,,, yummy

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Works pretty well and is mighty quick. Some meat is sacrificed, but if you're cleaning a mess of fish, a little missed meat won't amount to much.

You might find it easier to get the fillet off of the skin if you hold the electric knife steady and pull the fish through, rather than pushing the knife through the meat. Hope that description makes sense. Get the knife started, press it flat on the cutting board and pull the fish (with skin still attached) to draw the knife through the meat and separate it from the skin.

On blue cats, there is also a nice big hunk of meat above the rib cage on both sides - make a "C" shaped cut to get it out and use a sharp knife later to take the skin off. It might not be worth the effort on channels, and I don't know about flatheads.

I've also learned to kill the fish (with a kife through the head or a good whack with a hammer), then hang the fish up head first and cut their tails off about 1" above the fin and let them bleed out before you fillet them.

After the fillet is separated from the fish, carefully cut out every bit of red meat and fat that you find - the long line down the middle of the fillet, any red meat on the outside of the fillet and any yellowish fat on the top or bottom edges.

Keep the fillet under running water while you're working on it too.

You'll end up with nice hunks of very clean, very white and very tasty meat.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    simple yes, but very wasteful! with just a little more effort you could get no doubt twice, if not three times the meat.

5. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas

:0a27:

When I get done, the fish still looks like a fish except there's almost no meat left at all.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I am going to go with Baitfish on this one! This is by far the best method and eliminates most of the polutants that would be found in the fatty meat under the ribcage anyway! I also cut any red or dark meat out! I think it makes for better tasting fish too!

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I hate to say it guys, but if you skin the fish first with pliers and eat a filet that way it can get pretty nasty quick. I always filet the filet off then take the knife and cut the red, silver meat off with the skin. The filet will taste ten times better and will leave company begging for more. The minimal amount of white meat wasted, if you do it right is well worth the taste afterwards. Vern

8. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well now that that's settled - what's the best way to kill a catfish before cleaning it?

Last and only time I ever tried was back when I was a kid and without going into details it was a mess and I felt pretty bad for the fish afterwards.

I'd prefer something quick and clean - the poor critter doesn't need to suffer anymore then nessicary!

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its "Hammer Time! :big_smile: or keep around what i use.....baseball bat!

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Get an awl or ice pick or something similar.

On blue catfish, theres a ripple in their forehead just above the eyes - with the fish on a flat surface, jam the awl in the middle of that ripple, holding it horizontal and it'll go through the brain and into the spinal cord. They flop a couple of times and that's the end of it.

The ice pick needs to be about 6" long and have a very sharp point and small diameter. I saw a fellow use a small allen wrench (mounted on a T-handle) that had been sharpened to a point. Works like a charm.

Next time I clean fish, I'll try to remember to take some pictures. That ought to get the PETA folks wound up good.