Filleting a Fish like a bass, help!

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by lightningmetal10, Feb 20, 2006.

1. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Does anyone have any tips on deboning a bony fish like a bass? I have attempted a few times in the past but I've always had a lot of bones in the fish even if the ribs were cut out... Your help would be greatly aprreciated!
    Thnx...
    Joe

2. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    PS and how do you cut the skin off soo cleanly?
    Joe

3. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I use an electric filet knife. I first cut into the fish just below the small side fin down to the backbone. I then turn the knife parrallel with the fish and cut towards the tail. Don't cut all the way to the end because you want the filet to stay attached with a small strip of skin. Flip the still attached slab over, scale side down. Run the knife blade under the filet, just on top of the skin. Last, cut out the rib section and you should be left with a boneless filet.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    look under topics. they have example of fish cleaning. Bass are done the same as Cats. cept maybe the skinning part.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Bull Daddy, that is exactly how I do them.

Crappie, Bass, Cats.

Simple but effective.

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i dont even scale the fish. after i cut down the side with my electric fillet knife i flip over the slab of meat that is still atatched at the tail. right in front of were it is atached by the tail cut under the meat with your knife flat on the table all the way to the other end. then cut out the ribs. feel aruond the fillet for bones. there is usualy some right in the V area of were the ribs were if you find any just make a small V cut and now its boneless.

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    actually bass is one of the easiest fish to fillet unless they are small undersized. If yer still gettin bones after cuttin away the ribs then i bet they are fin bones which means yer probably cutting too deep on one side of the fillet. only cut down to the backbone on each side. It just takes practice and a very sharp fillet knife. If you just cant cleanly cut the skin off, then you could also just scale and leave the skin on.

8. MealsOnReels

MealsOnReels New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My first choice is with an electric knife.
    If you use a standard fillet knife it really helps to re-sharpen it often.