filleted gizzard shad

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by waitin on whiskers, Sep 16, 2006.

1. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Has anyone ever heard of or used this method for bait? Someone told me to try it, said to fillet just like a regular fish and use the fillets for bait. Seems to allow the smaller fish to just peck on the bait till it comes of the hook. Any thoughts?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

depending on the size of the shad it can be a good method. If they are big enough you can use just the innards for bait. The library has a "how to" Butterfly cut shad and that is a good method, I use it drift fishing. For bank are anchor fishing I just cut the tails off and thread it on the hook like a worm fro=m the cut and come out of the eye. Good luck I hope I gave you a couple of new ideas.

3. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If your shad (or skipjack) are big enough to fillet,scale and fillet both sides.
    Then you take out the guts.I usually use this on a double snelled circle hook rig.
    Hook 1st fillet from the skin side in
    Hook guts on
    Then hook the 2nd fillet from meat side to skin side

This is a BIG CAT sandwich!!!!
    Hang ON!!!!!!!!!

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That sound like a great rig. Thanks!

5. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Thanks for the advice guys will definetly look up the how to and try the big cat sandwich. LOL.

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    We mostly fillet shad when fishing in swift water below dams. Not as much drag. Sometime we use the heads or gut pockets but seldem do we use the whole shad.

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Shannon, it sounds crazy but I have seen it where the fish wouldn't bite on a whole shad but they would if you cut or fillet them. If they ain't biting what you're offering them change it up some and see what happens. Also welcome to the Brotherhood.

st