filleted bluegill

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BEL007, Jun 9, 2008.

1. BEL007

BEL007 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Howdy

Still getting my feet wet in the world catfishing. Went out yesterday and caught a mess of bluegill. I filleted half of them ( those that were big enough ) and threw the carcasses along with the small 'gills into some vacuum seal bags and slid them into the freezer.

I plan to take them along this week and try them for Catfish only if I can't get anything live in the castnet.:wink:

Anyone every used a filleted bluegill carcass? Head and gut sack. Hook 'em through the eyes? How about the whole ones? Would you scale 'em, slice 'em or use 'em as is?

Thanks
    Brian

2. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to use them whole and live, or use the heads with the guts attached, usually works well for blues and flats, although i have caught a few good sized channels on small whole live green sunfish before...

3. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yes Sir, I've had sucess on cutbait bluegill. I prefer to butterfly them and take the spine out and then hook it through a tough spot in the head and then flip one of the fillets up and hook it on the hook as well. Scale'em and cut the top fin off, hook'em on, and get ready for the slow take down of the rod! Good luck, let us know how you do!

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i've had great luck on the head and guts. good luck to you!

5. 390fe

390fe New Member

State:
    Creston, Iowa,
    I've used cut bluegills with good success on a treble hook.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Especially after being frozen I like to take and cut the blue gills and use the heads and guts. Seems to work better because it lets out the scent quicker and more abundantly.

Good luck

7. kickflip484

kickflip484 New Member

State:
    Ohio/Virginia
    does anyone have a picture of a "Butterflied' bluegill?