The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use a Rapala Fish Fillet knife. It’s cheaply priced, very very sharp and serves me well. If I had to do it over I’d try the Bubba Blade just for the heck of it don’t even know if I’d like the Bubba blade though

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a VG10 fillet knife a couple months ago and that thing is bad to the bone. I've had a bubba, Rapala, AFTCO, bass pro, pretty much you name and I've had it. It seems like the knives are all pretty much the same because they're all made from stainless steel or German steel. A chef friend of mine was bragging to me about VG10 knives - he said he uses them because they are corrosion resistant like stainless steel, but they hold a sharper edge for far longer than stainless steel. This has to do with the hardness of the material in comparison to stainless steel. VG 10 has good hardness but isn't to hard to where it breaks and can't flex like you need in a fillet knife. Anyways, I found a good article that talks about what to look for in a fillet knife for fish and it also talks a little about vg 10 fillet knives Fillet Knife for Fish - Complete Guide

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've got 4 knives, filet knives that is. All inexpensive. Till just now I'd never heard of a Bubba knife! Always wanted one of those Schrade knives. Have several Schrade hunting knives, my favorite! But they were more money than I felt comfortable parting with. Sure looked nice though! Nave a Rapala with about 10" blade now that I use the most. Doesn't everyone have a Rapala? Actually I have three of them! Have a G96 10" and no idea where I got it. Does everything the Rapala's do though. Also have a 10" Normark that I like really well and again no idea where it came from. Was in the Walmart couple weeks ago and found an 8" Ozark Trail knife for a bit under three dollars. The thrifty side of me had to get it and will try it out this spring! I have an electric knife laying around here somewhere, got it as a present. Opened it up a few weeks ago and found out the plug is one of those that go in the cigar lighter in the car. Guess t's designed to filet the fish in your front seat! I had a filet knife with a serated edge at one time but no idea where it went. I don't like those edge on anything!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kastking is my choice after reading the Best fillet knife article
The knife comes with a razor-sharp blade for starters and you can choose between a wide range of great colors. The grip on the handle is perfect as well and feels very comfortable when you hold it. The knife also features a strong stainless-steel blade that will resist rust in both salty and freshwater.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts