The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just like anything the majority of the time the better the knife the more it’ll cost. My vote is to get 2 knives. Get a budget knife that’s not too expensive it’s not a total heartbreak if it’s dropped overboard. The second knife splurge just a little and get one that’s going to last you a long time to keep at the house for when or if ya bring em home to clean. I keep one of the cheap rapala knifes from Wally World in my bag at all times with one of the cheap pull the blade through to sharpen. If I lose it so what it was cheap and I even cut up bait with it. The bubba knifes just started showing up around me recently and had never seen em before but they look nice and the price should reflect quality,I hope anyway cuz I’d like to get one here sometime soon.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
as if I wasnt slow enough in the last couple years I have started slicing around the rib bones.
then if I have say a 18-24 incher I fillet the belly meat too which has to be filleted on both sides.

Reactions: Herbhome

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have heard of people getting head steaks off of a Flathead if it’s big enough. Supposed to be really good. Seems to me it would have to be awfully big to be big enough to get enough for any kind of meat off of the head.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
there is tons of meat on fish right behind the head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the right fillet knife is the dream of every anglers. No matter what has caught, a salmon, a redfish, or a trout you need the right fillet knife to prepare it on board. It's not an easy task to find the best fillet knife from tons of brands on the market.
I'm using the Victorinox Swiss Army 5.6413.15 which is one of the most popular pick for its versatility, durability, flexibility, and sharpness. The knife is made of quality material but still lightweight. The 6-inch high carbon blade length of the knife makes it usable in any kind of tasks. The hygienic fibrox handle made me choose this versatile knife although it doesn't come with shealth.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dexter knives are the best fillet Knives made period. I've cleaned countless fish with mine. It hones great with a simple wet stone. I have had the same one for probably 15 years and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I make all my own knives...this is a fillet knife I made a good number of years ago. 440C stainless steel Cryogenically treated for superior edge retention, 8 inch blade, burnt cork handle and sheath. Total cost to build the knife was 35 dollars in materials plus my time. It cuts like a hot knife through butter and holds an edge for a long time.
Filet Knife cork sheath 20.jpeg

·
Administrator
10,484 Posts
George, is stainless steel heat treated like other steel is or is it different?

Knife making is a great hobby. Some technical some artistic and hopefully something that will last a long time that you can be proud of.

·
Registered
774 Posts
George, is stainless steel heat treated like other steel is or is it different?

Knife making is a great hobby. Some technical some artistic and hopefully something that will last a long time that you can be proud of.
Yes, it can be heat treated....and yes its a great hobby. I quit buying knives 50 years ago and have made my own ever since...that way I get EXACTLY what I need or want.

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
564 Posts
I broke a bubba blade two years ago cleaning grouper, they are overrated in my opinion. the adjustable cutco knife is a nice knife, and like the others said the dexter russel is nice.George that is a good looking knife, i would like to try my hand at knife making some day, if i ever get the time.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
843 Posts
I make all my own knives...this is a fillet knife I made a good number of years ago. 440C stainless steel Cryogenically treated for superior edge retention, 8 inch blade, burnt cork handle and sheath. Total cost to build the knife was 35 dollars in materials plus my time. It cuts like a hot knife through butter and holds an edge for a long time. View attachment 315570
I should have known that a man who embraces overkill would have a stemwinder of a knife.:smile1:

·
Registered
Dale - Missouri
28 Posts
Purchased this a few days ago,feels good to the hand.Going next week will update on how it does.I too am a member of "filet knives anonymous" and have way too many filet knives.:cool1:https://www.amazon.com/Serious-Catc...+knife&qid=1601480300&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2
That uses same steel as the high-end Wustohf knives. Also same blade shape and length. I would bet you really like it! I would say you got a good one at a good price. Have to let us know how you like it.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts