The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got a favorite fillet knife? I need some new knives for cleaning, cutting, and filleting. Doesn't need to be a kit, but I need some new ones. Are the Big Bubba knives worth the money ? Is there other brands that would be better?

·
Registered
90 Posts
American Angler electric knives are the only way to go. And bubba blades good for trimming. Just got the titanium blades for my knife ready to try them out.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,188 Posts
I love my Bubba blade. It is the 9'' flex. I would also like to get the 7'' flex. The old Standard Black and Decker electric knife has served me well. Also the Rapala electric with 15ft cord is nice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Basically all I've seen here are rapala and bubba blades. I guess I need to get with the times, but I've just never used an electric knife. Rapala is what I've used in the past, but I'm wondering if bubba blades are worth the money. But I will look up some of the others.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I guess I need to get with the times, but I've just never used an electric knife..
I am sure there are some purist out there that will disagree but I think electric, if power is available, is the only way to go. I would estimate it cuts my time at the cleaning station in about half.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Gerber has a great fillet knife. It comes sharp, and is easy to resharpen. They do hold their edge well.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
manual for me
IMG_20180209_205838882.jpg

IMG_20180209_213023278.jpg

but I'm slow somebody going to town with an electric would be done much quicker
IMG_20180210_124718695.jpg

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I have always wanted a bubba blade

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use a Mr. Twister electric knife but the blades get dull pretty quick. I like to cut thru the rib bones and cut them out after the fish flay is off. it is faster that way but it sure dulls the blades. The blades are serrated and can't be sharpened very good.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The new American Angler knives aren’t near as good as the old ones. They are really weak and slow. Maybe I got a bad one but it was nothing like my buddy’s old one I used. I was less than impressed. I’ve heard good things about the Bunba Blade but I have no experience with one. I currently have a heavy duty rapala and I really like it. It is really powerful and it is fast. It doesn’t bog down the cheaper knives do. Definitely has more power than the regular Rapala knife.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anybody got a favorite fillet knife? I need some new knives for cleaning, cutting, and filleting. Doesn't need to be a kit, but I need some new ones. Are the Big Bubba knives worth the money ? Is there other brands that would be better?
Russell fillet knives are super if you don't need a electric one. i have been buying them for over 50 years and my father has used them forever. try Hamilton marine on the east coast

·
Registered
Dale - Missouri
31 Posts
Russell fillet knives are super if you don't need a electric one. i have been buying them for over 50 years and my father has used them forever. try Hamilton marine on the east coast
I seem to have a "thing" for fillet knives. Not sure why, but it is what it is. After getting rid of 10-15 a year or so ago, I am down to 15-20 on hand. No experience with electric, but for the good old manual fillet knives, the Dexter Russel SG133-7 or -8 is a very affordable knife that is hard to beat. They sharpen up super sharp and hold an edge for a long time. For something in the $40 range the Wusthof Pro is another good one, although if I had to choose between the Wusthof and the Dexter Russell, I would still go with the Dexter Russell. For a high end knife ($110) or so, the Wusthof Grand Prix is tops. This is my all time favorite....so far! For those looking for a custom type fillet knife, I have a Phil Wilson Punta Chivato knife that is in a class of its own, but so is the price tag. The thought of seeing it go over the side of the boat keeps it at home most often. The Dexter Russel SG133-7 or -8 is what I would recommend.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts