Fillet knives

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by field989, Jun 16, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    there are these knives at walmart and they are around $10 they are rapalas and come with a leather seath and a sharpener,and a wood handle they seem like good knives but just wondered if anyone else used these or knew anyone that had experience with these

they are called the fish n' fillet knives

any comments are welcome,

if there are anyother fillet knives i should look into at wally world just say lol
    also what length

Thanks Jeff

2. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I have had mine for a long time and never had a problem with it. Ten bucks, hard to go wrong for that price.

3. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use a renagade felay from there its about 7 in long with a plastic handeland a sheath 6 bucks i like the plastick handel becouse it wont rot worpe or splinter besides my felosofie is cheper is beter

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    if your looking at a fillet knife for cleaning fish get a electric fillet knife. That is the only way to go. I got a 12 volt dc that plugs into a power point plug and man that works great.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to agree with bearcat on this one... go electric...

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    That fillet knife'll work just fine. I was never fond of the sharpener they come with though. Best thing in the world to sharpen knives with is a wetstone. just my two cents.

-Red

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Jeff I have one of the knives you mentioned. They're worth $10. They will serve the purpose when necessary, most of the time. Electric fillet knives work well, I'll have to agree on that. My favorite fillet knife is from the Cutco Company. They're not inexpensive, but you could use some of your birthday money maybe. It has an adjustable blade that extends from 7" to 10" and is extremely durable. Cutco also has a lifetime replacement guarantee if I'm not mistaken. You can't go wrong with this one.

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i have a electric and i love it but i wanna get a regular fillet for ease of takin out the ribs and such, but i can get 2 purfect boneless skinless fillets from a bluegill in under 35 sec.

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Rapala Filllet Knives are a good Knife there made in Sweden and the steel is good they will hold an edge well if sharpened properly. I have had one for many years. I like the six inch model its real easy to use. I have been a meatcutter for 40 years now and I feef that Rapala makes a good product. JMHO Bigcatman0816.:smile2:

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have the knife your talking about and the folding knife as well along with a cutco I think its called. nothing wrong with any of them they all do the job well.

11. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas

have to agree the rapala fillet knives are pretty good knives i;ve had mie for about 5 years and have never had any regets.just keep it sharp

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Jeff, Wal Mart sells several elestric fillet knives and I have tried all the corded ones as well as the Mister Twister electrics. Through the years I have burned up all of them. The knife that lasted the longest was the American Angler in the clear plastic package. It is the gray one with the ergonomic handle. It also has the cooling slots away from where you grip the knife. I believe that is why it lasts longer. The other ones have the air vents right where you grip it. This cuts off air flow to the motor. When you clean 150 plus fish at a time you will literally smoke these knives.
    The gray knife I am talking about sells for $19.97.
    I don't have any experience with any of the cordless versions but I believe the batteries are too small to last very long.
    Hope this helps.

whatever it takes

Cheez

13. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I have a wooden handle with leather sleth but dont know the name of it
    Had it for years love it

14. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jeff, I was at Gander Mountain (behind Castleton Mall) a week or so ago. They had a large Plano storage box that contained a Rapala fillet knife (the large one) with sheath, a handheld sharpener (with 2 round stones held in a V-shape), a set of line-clippers (like for fingernails, but alot wider), and a set of mechanical scales, all for about $13.

Smitty

15. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Cant go wrong with a Rapala fillet knife have had mine for 10 years now and really happy with it.

16. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    I have the 10$ rapala from walmart. Good 10 $ knive. But thats what it is. Dont try stabbing a cat in the top of its head with one they break and the tip goes flying.

17. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i bought it....

VERY SHARP.... this will always travel with my fishing stuff

also man no way am i gonna stab a cat in the noggin with a knife

good way to
    1.cut ur fingers off
    2.chip,and/or dull the blade badly
    3. JUST NOT A GOOD PRACTICE!!!!!!

18. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree John,I have three of them and they do a great job, One of them is over 20 years old......great knives........steve

19. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have used a lot of fillet knifes over the years, all cheep ones like some have mentioned, and they served their purpose.

About 15 years ago, my father had a knife maker make one for me.
    I have used it many times, and have only sharpened it twice.
    I have no idea what he paid for it, but it is a beautiful knife that will be handed down to one of my children some day, because that is how good it is.

You get what you pay for.

20. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I've tried all the rest and now I just use the VERY best for my hard earned money. Cold Steel. You can pick one up for under $20 and it is AWESOME for the money. God bless.