Fillet knives... Electric or manual?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Believer, Apr 2, 2006.

Which type knife do you prefer?

1. Electric Knife:

2. Manual:

3. Other:

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Ok guys I want to know what type of fillet knife you prefer. Electric or the good old manual powered version.

I've never owned an electric, but have considered buying one. I can't deny they seem faster and easier, but it seems as though there is more waste.
    What do you guys have to say?

Thanks!

Eric

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Electric. With straight blades. I recently bought an American Angler knife with extra blades but they were curved and it makes it a lot harder to get a good fillet with them. The best electric knives are the ones you purchase in the kitchen section of the store rather than the ones advertised as fisherman's fillet knives.

3. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Good question, I been wondering that myself. I've never used an electric fillet knife either.

4. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    I got my first electric knive last summer it's great. After a few fish you'll get the hang of it and won't be wasting that much meat. The Rapala knife I got you can use with the car battery, cigaritte lighter or ac. A friend had a rechargeable and didn't like it because it didn't hold a charge and he was always forgetting to put it on the charger.

5. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I once tried an electric and did not like it much. Maybe I just did not take the time to get used to it, but it felt clumsey and bulky with no precision. Now as for a knife sharpner I prefer the electric chef's choice! (I have the 120 model that puts a tri razor edge on my knives)

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A good fillet knife will last you all of your life. You will be buying more than one electric one, to many things can go wrong. How many parts in a manual one as compared with electric? :rolleyes: Or, and this is a big Or, you can cook the fish whole and just pull the bones out! :0a10: lol

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Electric. I have two elec. 1. 12 volt 2. one 110 volts They work well for me. :)

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    ? How long does it take to deep fry a 25# catfish whole? LOL
    I almost always use an electric knife these days. The american angler I use has a variety of blades from about 6" for panfish, etc up to a 10" straight blade. Also have a 12V model that I use in the boat when cutting up large shad or mullet for bait, especially in real cold weather. Makes things easy and safer. I don't like using a regular filet knife in freezing weather if my hands are cold, but the electric is pretty safe.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My personal preference, and it is stricltly my preference is that it will take exactly forever and 1 day to cook any catfish over 10 lbs.

10. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    ????? :confused: ?????

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i used to fillet with only a regular fillet knife until a friend and i took a trip to santee cooper. we hired a guide and at the end of the day the guides fillet your catch for you. they all used electric fillet knives. it was amazing to watch this. they were zipping through those fish like nobodies buisness! i was sold. i bought one at the bait shop there at randolph's landing before we left. i've never looked back. i do still own several regular knives but i only use them for trimming a fillet or cutting bait.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    My dad and I use an eletric and we love it. A big help in my opinion.

13. woollyswamper

woollyswamper New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I prefer an electric one, because my fillets generally look better when I am done, but as someone mentioned earlier, I end up using a manual alot of the time because the knife is not working, my wife put the blades somewhere odd, or because of the power issue.

14. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I am going to go with the old fashioned manual knife, because for one, I like to do things the old-fashioned way, and its also easier to take a manual one with you on a fishing trip if you need to. Some of the electric fillet knives I have seen dont always have the battery or lighter plug adapter, and need AC current to run them.

15. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm petty proficient with a blade, (practice makes perfect).
    If your cleaning more than 3 fish. electric is a better way to go and its worth it to break out, set up and Clean up.
    If your doing less than 3 fish, I'd rather use a sharp blade, After all is said and done you will be out of there faster than using the electric.
    thanks
    Larry

16. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I got a real cool glove for Christmas for filletin but my loved ones thought that ole"Matt Matt" does not need a razer sharp 10 inch blade near him. Well, I have been lookin around on my own and thank I will go get a nice one from the wall mart in the cookin section. The handle is formfittin for my hand and comes in a nice pink color to match my Tackle box and Tracker.

17. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I pretty much feel the same way! I have gotten pretty good with a manual knife. I learned from watching the deck hands on the charter boat! Those guys can filet a 10 pound fish, while your trying to put the blades in an electric knife! I am not yet quite as good as they are, probably because I havent got the ultimate manual filet knife yet, but I am pretty good! If I am cleaning alot of fish, then I will use the electric knife!

18. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I voted for manuel because to me you have more control of the knife

19. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I had always used the manual fillet knives but my uncle got a new electric fillet knife for christmas last year and we used it yesterday on 3 bass that we caught, like said before after the first few fish, you get the hand of it and not much meat goes to waste. The best way is to start behind the gills and work the blade off the spine almost all the way to the end of the tail and then flip it over and fillet the fillet all the way back towards the gills..( this is how we do bass, gills, and crappie) cats we just skin..

20. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Personally, I've never used an electric one but I've seen them being used before but I like the old manual fillet knife, I sell knives on the side and the feel of a good knife that conforms to your hand is better and more comfortable.