fillet knife

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by brownie525, May 6, 2009.

1. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    okay i am looking for a good fillet knife for trout flounder some stripper stuff like that what would you guys suggest.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I like the small raipla about 4 /5 inch blade comes in leather sheave good for fillets an in the kitchen also

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I gotta say this is a good post I have several fillet knifes and getting one that will hold a good edge is hard to do ....I am hard on em and qualitey is a must without looking I am not sure what brand my favorite one is...I am looking at a gerber now (LOL)

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i have heard good things about the rapala knives i may look into them. I have also heard alot of good things about dexter russle knives anyone have one of them.

5. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    the only one i use any more is electric it,s faster and easier than the others and comes in 12 volts or 110 and only about 10.00 dollars for 110 volt

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    All of mine are Kershaw, they seem to hold an edge fairly well. Even when not optimaly sharp they seem to work.

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use an electric fillet knife at home. I have had good luck with Rapala
    fillet knifes in years past. I just bought a Buck Silver Creek bait knife
    and really like it. Buck also makes a Silver Creek Fillet knife. Check
    them out on E-bay.

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've had good luck with Rapala knives too. Can't beat them for the money.

Dexter and Frosts also make great professional fillet knives.

I use a lot of Frosts knives, the Mora's and Swedish Army knives are great blades and they are cheap too. K.J. Erikkson and Frosts have merged into one company called Mora of Sweden. I will promise you, you will NOT find a knife that is as sharp, holds an edge, and is as easy to touch up as one of the blades from this company. They aren't fancy, just good working knives. I used to be into all of the "high quality, high tech" blades that are in vogue right now, but after buying a couple of Frosts, I hardly look as anything else now. I use them, abuse them, and I've never had one fail in anyway.

I like the looks of those new Buck fillet knives, but I'm not too fond of the 420HC steel that they use in most of their blades.

Kerhsaw has always made a great blade, I love their stuff. I think that they are probably the best modern day knife company for technology and design.