Fillet Knife Help

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by cantstopgrandma, Jun 2, 2009.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Hey all, I have a wooden handle Rapala Fillet knife like this one:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_15922____SearchResults

Its a good knife for no better than I am at filleting fish. I've used the knife quite a bit, and the wood handle is starting to soak up water and fish smell when i use it. I think it has some sort of Poly coating or similar on it, but that's starting to wear. Should i get some butcher block mineral oil and coat it, or put it in bleach water for a few minute to kill any fishy bacteria? I try to wash it and dry it immediately after use, but its still discolored until it dries out good. I dont want a new knife, cause other than this, its in great shape. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    clean it with dawn anti bacteria soap. then let dry .. sand it lightly to take off what is left of the finish. Then recoat it with a good finish or clear coat.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Any suggestions on what you consider "a good finish"? I've got some Min-Wax Polyurethane, but i don't think its waterproof.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Putting two or more coats of that min wax polyurethane ought to do okay. You won't find anything that is really truly water proof. Some will last longer than others but that's about it. I would just use what ya already have on hand and not go spending a bunch of money on some for just a small handle on a knife.

5. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    After you get it dried out good remove all of the old finish and give it two or three coats of Tung oil It should work better than polyurethane or lacquer because it will actually soak into the wood and seal the grain insted of just creating a shell around it that will let the water soak back into the handle around the blade or if it gets scratched or gouged.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've got one that's about 16 years old and it still is in great shape. I haven't had any problem with my handle other than being used a lot. If ya wanna get the smell out soak in it baking soda and water.

Its been a darn good knife for a long, long, time, and I bet it will last many, many more. I dont plan on doing anything to my handle...... I dont mind that used hard look.

In the pic you cant see the writing on the blade , it's just worn down from sharpening so its really faint.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If you have a left over can of poly urethane sand it and dip it several times.