filet knives - electric or non-electric your thoughts

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by 187um, Apr 24, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    was thinkin about gettin an electric filet knife. i have the 7$ black rapala walmart filet knife but wanted to get your thoughts on which is better electric or non-elelctric what do you think?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I bought an electric fillet knife from wal mart a couple years ago... I hate it.

The blades teath are too long and way too sharp. They bite in a cut through the skin before you know it.

I went back to my regular electric kitchen carving knife. The blades do not have the long sharp teeth on them and don't cut thru the skin as easy and make easier and smoother to fillet with them. And another plus... some of the kitchen electric knives are cheaper than the electric fillet knives on the market.

Although I wouldn't mind having one of the 12 volt fillet knives when I'm camping and don't have electricity handy... But I would probably try to get one that my kitchen knife blades would fit in instead of the fillet blades they sell with the fillet knives now.

3. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    Thats a question i've been wondering about too bro. I use a great mid-range(on the qualty scale) knife, I love the sensitivity and feel of my knife but hate the labor when i have 10-20 fish to clean. I have almost bought an electric a few times when i seen good ones on sale but i'm afraid they will chew and butcher threw my meat like a over powered chainsaw. But in a nutshell i'm lookin foward to seeing what they guys have to say about it. Good thred man.

4. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    The one I used did an OK job. Like said before you lose the feel on conventional blade. Especially when you are cutting the skin off those fillets.

5. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I have been using an electric for the past 4 years and absolutely love em! But - they take a bit to get used to. I went through quite a few fish before I got the hang of it. I also use a regular fillet knife as well. They both have there place for me.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I agree with Whisker Maniac. For uears I used fish skinners and a regular filler knife. A couple years ago a buddy of mine told me about using an electric carving knife for filleting fish. it took a little getting used to, but i will never go back to a non-electric knife again.

7. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to agree with you bnewsom both have there place with me. The electric is great but I still use my old fassioned knife in certin places.:tounge_out:

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    The sportsman ones are too sharp. Knwo what I find the best? Black and Decker bread electric knives. I think it is bread.. but it is black and decker and found in the kitchen section. I have used mine for a couple of years and it is awesome for filleting cats. It follows along the backbone without cutting into it perfectly.

It has 2 blades that clip onto the motor unit/handle. I recommend these kinds over the sportsman ones. Plus it is A LOT cheaper! Picked it up at walmart I think for like 15 bucks vs the sportsman knives that cost like 30?

Was said Buddy me Aaron? :wink:

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i been using lectric for a long time and if i got an electric outlet thats the only way to go.only time i use a regular knire is on the banks of the river.

10. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Wow, I am quite suprised there aren't more conventional knife guys. Me, I prefer my (extra very sharp) filet knives, to each his own.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian, Aaron is given credit to his friend that catches fish and needs an elect knife to clean all of them with. You do have a nice review.

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Wait a minute... wait just a minute... Mickey... are you saying I don't catch fish!!!!! Why I outta......

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Actually, Brian does put his electric knives to good use........cutting up my bait!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Electric all the way here........ no problems filleting any fish scale fish or cat..... just like anything your not used to, go catch ya a bucket of small gills you can save for cut bait, and get ta whacken, couple of fish and few fingers later you will love it :smile2: :smile2:

By the way, them "long tined" big tooth blades are designed to snap through the rib cage if ya wait to remove it after you peel the fillet off.....

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I dont use electric knives . Never really tried one . Im pretty quick with a regular ol'fillet knife .

16. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I have a good set of knives, but mostly use my American Angler electric knives; don't have to sharpen them very often. .)

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Electric knives work great for crappie but me and Big Sam can fillet catfish a lot better and faster with our old timer fillet knives :cool2:.

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    This prolly sounds crazy but i skin my fish first, wack his noggin off and then fillet. I'm not very good with electric knives and hate to waste meat. I fillet with an old hickory butcher knife that has a keen , thin blade.

19. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    From what all has been said i'm gonna have to pick up the next good electric fillet knife i see on sale. Last week bass pro had a American Angler one sale with 2 blades and a 12v adapter for 9.99 i'm kickin myself in the a** right now for not pickin it up. Using it for cut bait untill you get the feel for it sounds like a good idea to me, i hate to waste any meat. I'll never ditch my trusty fillet knife i love it for small jobs and the detail work but it sounds like electric will make cleaning the fish a lot faster that i like, i dont know about you guys but as soon as i get back from a outing all i want to do is clean the fish drop the meat in some saltwater and take a hot shower before i start cooking.:tounge_out:

20. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't clean a lot of cats, but I agree with the above statement. For cleaning cats, I skin and use a regular rapala with the thin flexible blade. I do like the electric knife for scaled fish. Just use a regular electric knife...

Shawn