Filet Knife

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Stormin_Mormin, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Stormin_Mormin

Stormin_Mormin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Looking for a good quality, and lower priced filet knife, any suggestions? Thanks

2. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i have a puma filet knife i ourchased a few years back. i paid close to 40.00 bucks for mine but a place called knifecenter.com has them for 24.95. and man you cant go wrong with these knioves they are superb.

3. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I got the black handled Rapala for $9.95 at Gander today. The handle won't rot out like the wooden ones did. Has a sharpener included.

4. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The same Rapala is at wally world for 10 bucks with sharpener.

5. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    There some great fillet knives avaliable at cheap prices. You need to determine how flexable the blade needs to be to suit you. I kind of like the middle ground. You need to learn how to sharpen it to best suit the way you use it. One thing that I have changed my mind on is that I have changed to the diamond hones. I have still got all of the sharpening stones that I have accumulated but I am finding the diamond hones work better on the stainless blades. Keep the hone with you and touch up the edge before it gets dull.
    ______

Electric fillet knives are all similar. The position and operation of the trigger is the most Important thing to me. I like the trigger on top operated by the thumb the best. I would just as soon have a $5 electric knife from a garage sale as a $100 Name brand.
    ______

The more you use either one the more you will learn what suits your individual likes.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Dexter-Russell knives are primarilly for professional chefs, but they do make filet knives, they are reasonably priced, and they are excellent.

A google search will turn up plenty of sources.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    New lesson for me too. I found that the more flex blade I preferred for smaller gamefish didn't work well for catfish. I like eaters in the 3-5 lb. range, & I think you need a stiffer blade for a good even fillet.

8. coldgold

coldgold New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use a kershaw,, got it from snapon,, it is made of very hard steel , need a diamond stone to sharpen, but it stays sharp a long time when properly sharpened

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    you wont go wrong gettin a rapala:cool2:

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    All ways Perfered the Rapala Its the:boss:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like the rapalasjust get two one 6 and one8 that way you can use the one best suited for the job at hand

12. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    American Angler at wally world. Less than $10, and it comes with a big plastic sheath, and a sharpener. One peice of advice, it cuts fingers just as good as fish.:angry:

Kenny

13. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    I always use Rapala

14. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I use a Rapala on smaller fish , I've been using it a few years and have filleted a couple hundred fish, easily.
    I went to Wallly world and bought an electric knife for like $20 and it works well. Having the trigger on the top sure would be nice! After a couple catfish my hands get pretty slimy and it can get difficult to keep the trigger actuated...but i only spent ~$20..so i got what i paid for.

cyas
    robert

15. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I have used a tooth pick to hold my trigger down.
    It works well and is easy to pull out when the job is done.
    Try it you'll like it!

16. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I'm with Bigun, I have 2 elect. knives and they work great. I use a regular 6" filet knife to cut the red meat out.

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use a Rapala for filleting fish. The blades last forever. I have one that was my dad's, then I took it, used it for about 15 years, the handle finally rotted off so I went and bought a new one. Same blade, but with a plastic handle. $10 and I have no doubt it will last me 20 years. If you can find a teflon cutting board, your blade life will increase 10 fold. At work I use Victorinox swiss stainless knives. They are cheep and effective. I don't know where to buy them though. I get them from a salesman.

18. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can put on that prevents the accidental finger cuts? I am seriously thinking of going over to electric fillet knives.That is if I can catch any fish this year.For me,last year was horrible I couldn't catch anything no matter what bait i used or what time I went. Man I hope it's better this year!:roll_eyes:

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  20. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Appreciate ya lookin that up for me! Reps to ya!:big_smile: