Figuring out a reels line capacity..

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by harper81, Sep 25, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Is there and easy way to figure out how much line a reel can hold from the specs giving all ready. For example I am looking at the Cabela's Salt Striker and it says it can hold 320 yards of 12#. So how do I figure out how much 20# or 30# it can hold?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    20 is 40% more than 12 (so if the line diameter is truly 40% greater for 20# test than 12# test) you would only get 192 yards of 20# on the reel.

12/20 = .6 ( 12# test = 60% of 20# test) 320 (yards of 12# test) X .6 = 192 yards of 20# test.

Or 320 X .4 = 128 320 - 128 = 192

Somebody who's actually good at math can probably explain the right way to do it, but that sounds like it should be close. Good Luck!

Branden

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Harp, not sure what kind of fishing you're doing, but I bought a SaltStriker and returned it. It's a good trolling reel, but I think I could cast farther with a cane pole. Good reels, they're just not made to cast very far. Good Luck!

Branden

4. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I haven't made a decision on what I am getting yet, I just happened to be looking at that one when the question popped in my head.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    To determine line capacity, one has to do more than just look at pound test. That has less to do with line capacity than does diameter of the line. An Abu 6500 will handle an average of 245 yards of 14 lb test, but that also depends on the diameter of the line. I've seen 17 lb test that has about the same diameter as 14 lb test Big Game. The pound ratio may work with lines in the same family, say Big Game, but may change if you use lines that differ. Though, unless you go to braided, the difference may only amount to a small amount.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea their right with all the difference in line dia. its hard to say phlueger makes some d@% fine reels the contenders are sweeeeet

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I think advertised line capacities are wildly optimistic...just fill 'er up, and go fishing. Most people will go a lifetime, and never use more than the first hundred yards, anyway.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What model Salt Striker reel was that?I do discuss reels with people. Many people like the the Salt Striker SS6600X Bait Casting reel.I am now a 30 ft. caster with all and proud to still have that.Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    It was the SBF-50 which is the spinning reel with the bait feeder option. I figure it would act somewhat like a bait caster with the bait feeder without the growing pains of learning how to use a bait caster. I never catch anything huge so no need to spend a ton of money on a bait caster.