Fighting Power

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bacardipr05, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Given everything equal (weight, surf condition) which of the three have the most oomph to them... To be fair lets use 10lb as the weight... In other wors which one do you think fights hardest- has the most endurance etc....

A. Blue Cat

B. Channel Cat

C. Flathead

D. White Cat

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i dont know about the hardest fight, but i have a harder time getting big channels in since they do the "roll" and alot of times twist off the hook.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I think a case can be made for all of them. The friskiest fish I've ever caught was a 4-5lb male channel cat in full spawn mode (black color and swelled head). SUPER aggressive. We kept him, and while in the livewell he was banging around in there hard the whole time.

But then I've also brought in big blues and you can't match their brute power. That's how I describe it as "brute" power. Not alot of quickness or flashiness to it, but just strong. Kind of like a Mack Truck instead of a Ferrari.

Never caught a flathead, but I heard those things put up an awesome fight, and they like to take you into structure, so that adds another element to the fight.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like to catch flatheads best of all, but IMHO the channels are the strongest pound for pound.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My vote is for the channel never caught a blue we don't have them here. The Channels are famous for their death spins just before they realize they about to surface...

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    The blues will spin on you to once they get near the surface.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My #10 blue fought the hardest. And they roll big time for me at the shore. Either way they all fight good...love em all.

Oh I never caught a whit cat either, never seen one.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Angel
    Pound for pound.... its gotta be the blue

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Wish I can tell you about the blue. But in my experience a channel will fight harder than a flat of similiar weight.......

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    gotta be the channel.

11. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Since we don't have any blues this far north, I gotta go with a channel.

12. rivercatter

rivercatter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I went out last night and caught a 4lb channel and a 2.5lb blue that I thought was bigger just from the fight. So for me its gotta be the blue.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Looks like Channel is in the lead come on no vote for the mighty flathead....

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Kinda hard to call that one fair unless everyone has had the chance to catch blues. I say its a trick question, LoL.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well from what ive cought blues seem to have the hardest inital run then ease up. flathead have about the same but its a consistant pullllll not just the burst the blues got. channels just kind of freak out may be a good fight or they may water ski. id say flats

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I do most of my fishing on lakes so current isn't a factor and I'll have to go with the Flathead cause they don't give up. Both the Blue and the Channel are good fighters till they come up and start rolling, after that it's just a matter of dragging them on in. About time you think you got a Flathead wore down, he figures out whats going on and will explode and the fight starts all over again. I have caught Channels, Blues, and Flatheads in the 20lb range and this size is what I based my post on.

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Channel cat has my vote. Can't imagine what a 20lb channel would feel like!

18. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I hate to sabotage this thread, but how do catfish in general fight in comparison to other freshwater species like bass, walleye, perch, trout etc....

I've never really caught a big freshwater fish other than a cat, so I can't compare.

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think the rolling and their ability to roll and "spit the hook" or jump of the hook at the last second makes it more dramatic..... A 20lb channel would be a dream come true down these parts Griz... they out there I am sure of it.... Jimmy I know I never caught a blue either so I was base it between my Flat and Channel experience... thats exactly one of the reason I asked though...I know not exactly scientific but not many opinions are... thouse blues

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Depends JPritch some of those little guys gave heart, smallmouth some times launch them selves in the air.... ever caught a large enough size blue gill they think they are bigger than they are... carp run like a locomotive that has jumped the tracks for maybe ten minutes but in the process they completely spent(common)..you have to keep it in perspective... if the little blue gills grew to ten pounds this would be a blue gill site...lol...but its not so back to the question....:smile2: LoL