Fighting in Hockey... explained better for you who dont "get" or "like" the fights

Discussion in 'NHL Talk' started by sal_jr, Dec 27, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Read this. It actually IS a good deal better at explaining than I've ever read.

Enjoy.

GO RED WINGS!!!!!

Sal

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks Sal, that was a good article! I'm glad to see someone post in the hockey section. It's been only Penguin talk for months!:cool2:

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great article im an enforcer on the hockey team i play for and that article definately explained how the enforcer should play

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    so I am wrong... there are TWO great articles on fighting in hockey, and both concern this new book (Which some day I will read)

It was nice to think about Bob Probert again. On the 2nd of January when they retired Steve Yzerman's jersey, Probert and Joey Kocur were both present, and when the game ensued afterward someone sat Probie and Kocur in the two seats behind the penalty box. It was a beautiful nostalgia for me- seeing those two hulking bohemoths in white button-up shirts and ties sitting back there and enjoying the show. Gosh... they were the reason I fell in love with hockey! Bobby Probert, Joey Kocur, Steve Yzerman, Glen Hanlon, Gerard Galant, Mike Vernon, and even the old coaches like Scotty Bowman and Jaques Demers. Those fantastic old red wings made me the fan I am today. And all these years after they were done playing they still wear scars that are visible from across the arena. They were gladiators, no doubt.

I remember waiting outside for 4 hours as a kid to shake Probert's hand and get his autograph. He was a tower of muscle and bone back then. and that toothless grin made him look like a jack-o-lantern.... that could rip your arms off without hesitation.

I sure hope you folks who dont know or like hockey see this sport for the same things that make me a fan. If not, then perhaps this will at least educate you a bit as to why it is a great and sadly overlooked sport.

-Sal

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Sal - Another good article! thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading it!

Lets Go Pens!:cool2:

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like the fights, I just dont like hockey.:big_smile:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    As a born and bred southerner and even living within 50 miles of the Stanley Cup winners, I'm not a fan of hockey.
    Whatever floats all those idots boats that are paying 10 bucks to park, 100 bucks for a family of 4 to sit in the nose bleed section and 8 bucks a beer to watch men ice skate.
    I'd rather watch the women ice skate in those itty bitty tights:big_smile:

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I went to a hockey game once and all I could relate to was how much the fans and parents of little league players had in common.

You know, the parents that do nothing but bitch because their little Johnny isn't playing.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I guess I'm a SUPER BIG IDIOT cause I paid $330 for tickets for my family of 6 to attend the Pittsburgh Penguin vs. Tampa Bay game this past Sunday! If your not a hockey fan then why don't you keep your unappreciated opinions off this thread!!!

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I just wanted to say that Mark J. and I have exchanged PM's about the comments we each made in our last two postings. Mark made it clear he was just trying to inject some humor into the thread and did not intend to offend anyone. I apologized for being quick to take offense. Case closed. If any of the mods wants to delete the mentioned posts that would be appreciated!

11. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Great posts Sal.
    I watched them hang Steve's jersy from the rafters at the JOE!! What a great show. Although I bleed Black and Gold, the Wings are one of the GREATEST teams ever!!! A buddy of mine from Dearborn Hights got me hooked!
    If (god forbid) the Penguins get sold or move, I guess I'll get me a Red Wings sweater!!

LET'S GO PENS

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wally, say it ain't so!!! You can't be wearing no Detroit jersey!!!:eek:oooh: :crazy: :sad2:

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI

14. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

ROTFL...

Im goin to Kansas City...
    Kansas City here I come.
    Im goin to Kansas City....
    Kansas City here I come.

They'll have the Pittsburgh Penguins there and Im gonna watch me some!

ROTFL:roll_eyes: :tounge_out: :wink:

15. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Really guys the thread is for hockey fans.

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Who would you say is most like MR. Probert playing today?

17. steelytom

steelytom New Member

State:
    Cola, SC
  18. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Did you see Brashear tap that guy tonight? It looked fake to me, like he took a dive.

19. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Im not a fan of the fighting I just like hockey and fighting comes with the game. The best fighting Ive seen prob have to be Dallas and Boston when they played back in Nov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtvBFY7a3lQ

20. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I think the mods want to see a hockey fight:smile2::smile2::smile2: