Fifeteen Hp Evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Lynne, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    I need help bad.

I have a 1991 15 Hp Evinrude ouboard. A month ago I was crossing the lake and the moroe died about half way across. It wouldn't start again and I had to use the troppling motor to get back to shore. When i got home I pulled off the motor cover and found the fuel pump was leaking. I thought that might be the problem. I was wrong. I put the boat in today, it started right up and ran great. I boated around close to the ramp for a few minutes and the motor continued to operate just fine so I decided to go out on the main part of the lake. I ran the motor up to speed and was cruising just fine but then it happened. The motor speed started to slow down and then started it stopped. I couldn't get it started again. I smelled a faint odor that the motor might be hot but the fuel pump was working okay. It had a steady stream of water coming from the passage on the back of the motor.

I could be wrong but I don't think it is the ignition because it was still firing good all the while the motor slowed down. The pump up bulb on the gas line was still hard so it must be getting fuel. I was wondering if the thernastat would cause this problem if it wasn't opening. Or what I should check first to see if I can locate the trouble.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    When you say it was still firing when it slowed down, do you know that for a fact? Did you check for spark right after the problem took place? I am having a similar problem on my evinrude, mine will die like that out of the blue. When it happens to me the bulb is also hard, infact its hard to the point where I feel like I have a vapor lock somewhere. I haven't really messed with a motor that size, do you have a quick connect for the fuel? Was the fuel pump leaking from the gaskets, or the actual casing itself? You said you fixed it, so I imagine you just tightened the screws, and it wasn't leaking at the hoses. Usually to get mine started again I can release the quick connect at the cowling and sometimes it will start again, its almost like it relieves pressure. I would post a little more in depth of what you have done on the motor, compression, spark? I have found its alot easier to get help when you let people know what you have already checked, that way some things can be ruled out.

3. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    I didn't check to see if it was firing after it died, I am going to try it this morning to see if it starts.

I replaced the fuel pump when I found it leaking. It was leaking around one of the inner gaskets. I've done very little to it so far. The motor starts slowing down as if I am throttleing down the stops. I have a quick dissconnect on my motor also. The bulb was hard but I could still squeeze it a little. I will try starting it and let it run until it stops and then try dissconnecting the line and then retry starting it today.

I had trouble earlier this season with water in the gas. I didn't check the gas I bought and it contained ethanol and picked up water after sitting. After that I have replaced the fuel line and the bulb, mine was the rubber was getting hard. I have replaced the water pump last season. The carburator was redone two years ago and I always let it run out of gas when I come in from the lake. Thats about all I have done so far. I will pst this afternoon on the results of my trying to get it going again.

My day yesturday didn't go well at all. First I put the boat in the lake and forgot to put the plug in it. I hgad to pull it back out to drain the water out of the boat. Then I knocked my cup of coffee in the lake and had to fish mny cup out. Next was the motor problem then when I got the boat back I backed the trailer in and could get out of the truck, I was to close to the dock. After I got home I made some home made vegetable soup and spilled the broth on the floor and had to vclean that up then I got a water bill that is three times to much for what i used. It also took me three tries to back the boat in to where I usually park it. After the soup I said to heck with it and sat down and watched TV. So you might say I had a very bad day.LOL

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I recently had a problem kind of like that. I was out fishing, and had shut the motor off, and it wouldn't restart. What I did find after a while was the fuel line had come loose, and you couldn't tell it because it was still on the pegs. and the fuel bulb was very hard. I pulled it off and gave it the eye, and plugged it back in, and then I heard the fuel going into the carbs, from the pressure already built up in the fuel line. Amazing how well it runs with fuel. LOL. On yours I'd be more apt to think it's fuel related, the reason being is I don't think both coils would go bad at one time. Mix you up some priming fuel, and prime it when it happens again, then you will be able to make some kind of determination. Later Andy

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Lynne, do it again and after it dies on you, remove the large screw on the bottom of the carb. bowl. If no fuel comes out, your float is stuck. You burn what fuel is in the bowl, and when it runs out the motor dies and won't start. My 50 HP Johnson did that to me. Sure was frustrating. Two years on carb rebuilds are probably just as long as your gonna get these days, and they are not that hard to rebuild/clean. Probably due a rebuild anyhow. Talked to my friend FuzzFace about tbull's problem. He thinks it is electrical and suggested tbull check these three things. 1. ignition switch - they do go bad and cause all types of funny problems. 2. Coils - they can get hot and quit functioning...but it shouldn't effect all cylinders. 3. Stator - just a thought. He said to look closely at the ignition switch though.

6. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Does your gas tank have a vent screw on top of the fuel cap, usually the tanks have a vent somwhere, this vent needs to be open, if it's blocked or closed, the engine will run for a while and quit pretty much the way you described, it sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem.

7. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    HAHA learned that one the hard way... My motor would run for awhile and sputter out on my 6hp johnson... I just rebuilt most of it... I knew it ran, I knew it was good... Come to find out, you have to open the screw on the gas tank to relieve some of the pressure...

Who woulda thunk it :eek:oooh:

8. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    I'll check to make sure the tank vent isn't plugged. Today I change the new hose and bulb and put the old one back on to see if it was the new hose. I hooked the water up to the motor and started it. I let it run at about third throttle for about thirty minutes and had no problem show up. But I am worried about trying it out, not many people use the boat ramp I use and I might have to paddle the boat a long way back. Guess I could take it to another ramp where there is more deep water and try it for awhile. I changed hoses because the old hose was getting pretty stiff and worried that it might break. I will also check the carburator bowl if it dies on me again.

I had to make a guaed for the prop so I could run the motor that fast and it eorked out great but I din't think of one thing when I started. I was parked in front of the garage door ndal thwater from the prop was thrown back against the door. Didn't realize how dirty that door was.LOL

Thank all of you for helping me out on this.