Field & Stream article on the Channel Cat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    In my highschool english class we were assigned a english research paper and i chose to type up my 7 pages on catfish specifically the biology of them. So i was reading through some of my field and streams and came across this article in the April 2005 issue its on the sences of the channel cat:

"Lateral Line
    A series of pores sensitive to water displacement, the lateral line picks up frequencies below the channel cat's hearing range. This includes the slightest movements of prey, predators, and even bankside anglers. Differences in the sonic pattern oneither side of the fish indicate the direction from which the signal came. Scientists believe that the channel cat's lateral line is much keener than that of other gamefish.

Taste Buds
    Taste buds are located not only in the mouth of the channel cat fish but all over its body--more than 30,000 per square inch along its flanks, although the highest concentration are in the mud-raking barbels. The chanel cat is, in effect, a swimming tongue, capable of "tasting" objects from 20 feet away.

Air Bladder
    THe air bladder acts as a resonating chamber, amplifying sound waves and passign teh vibrations to the inner ear via a tiny bone structure. This is analogous to the way a human's eardrum and inner ear bones work and elevates the fish's upper threshold of hearing to 13 times that of a bass.

Electroreceptive Pores
    Electroreceptive pores on the head allow the channel cat to home in on the weak electric field emitted by prey. THe fish employs this sense to find and root up insect larvae and other ivertebrates from mud and sand of the river or lakebed.

Nostrils
    Highly convoluted tissue in the channel cat's nostrils maximizes the surface area, providing the fish with a very acute sense of smell. Its olfactory nerve has a surface 10 times larger than that of the largemouth bass"

I thought this was an interesting read and figured id pass it along. Also does anyone know of any books or web sites that offer info on this topic? any help would be appreciated.

zac

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good post, your paper should do well.

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Thats some good info. Thanks for sharing.;)

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Get ahold of a copy of In-fisherman they have inserts in every issue to order books and videos on catfish. They have three good book titles. I own them all.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Let us know what grade you got. It should be a very good one!
    Bill

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I don't envy you at all. I know it's easier to write papers if you're interested in the topic, but I've written so many of them, I've run out of things I like to do. Hopefully the only one I'll have to write from now on will be my thesis. Good look on your paper man.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Ohio river rat, you can get the same books from our sponser Catfish Connection At the bottom of the home page.

8. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Good post Zac,sounds like you ought to get an A+ on this one,since its on fishin!Bring the teacher some fillets,you'll get an A+ for sure!
    Ernie