Field of bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Bigfish18, May 7, 2009.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I have a secret bait hole. Well its not a hole, its a field. When the big ditch here in Wichita gets high enough a field floods. I walk out in the field with a dip net and catch all the small carp I can haul. All of the large carp are left to dry up and die. There are a couple of strange things about this #1 carp are the only fish in this field. No cats, gar, buffalo, or any other species for that matter. #2 There were around 100 carp in this field and out of all of them I spotted a strange one. I took this fish home and found out it is called a mirror carp. Its just like a common carp but has large scales and half of the scales are missing. I have been catching carp a long time and I have never seen one of these.

Just thought I would share a story.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats weird.
    Interesting way to get bait.:smile2:
    I dont remember ever seein a mirror carp before. I hope they arent an invasive species.:embarassed::smile2:
    How long do you have to get out to the field before its too late?
    Sounds like a "Field of Dreams" to me.:smile2:

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    [​IMG] Hers a pic i found of the mirror carp. :wink:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    id say the little carp are used to hiding in the shallows so when the water came up so did the shallows. that and they r too dumb to realize hey weres the water going better follow it. thanks for the idea im shure the rivers gonna flood again soon may have to get out the waders and check it out :wink:

5. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Kyle, I drive by every day untill I see the backs of the large carp sticking out of the water. When I can see their backs I go the next day. The big carp are up to 20 pounds. The fields dry up fast, by the next day the big carp are laying on their sides and you can see the small ones.

6. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 New Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Where I grew up we did this alot when the Missouri flooded, like you said the main thing you would catch is crap though we did catch some catfish. I just always assumed that as soon as the fish felt the water wasnt going up anymore that the cats were the first ones back out into the main river channel.