FIELD DRESSING

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by catoon, Feb 4, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    so yall know im new to deer hunting.when i kill a deer then what how do i feild dress it.i will take it to a butcher to skin and cut it up.what do i do in the feild to prepare it for transport.i heard not to dress it where you hunt cause of coyotes any truth.and please remeber i never hunted deer any help will be great thks

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    The left overs will most definitely bring the yotes around. Other than that are you asking "How" to field dress? or just any tricks time savers or tips? Only thing I would add is a good heavy sharp knife with gut hook, and get ya a "butt-out" yea I :roll_eyes: when I first seen one, until I seen it work..... http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...r=94754&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Oh and a little saw to cut bone if needed.... I carry a folding modle works well.....

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Proper field dressing make the difference in good meat or,,,,,no so good meat. I dress mine usually where they hit the dirt. Roll it over on it's back if ya can, at least get a hind leg up. Slit the hide between it's legs, being careful not to cut too deep and bust a gut. After you get a hole started, take 2 fingers and stick in the hole. Put your knife between your fingers and split the hide up to the breast cavity. Now ya gonna need both hands to split thru the rib cage. If it's a deer you intend to mount, DO NOT split past underneath it's front legs. If your not gonna mount it, split it as far up as you can go. Back to where ya started, you can roll the guts out and will have to cut the diaphram at the rib cavity that holds it's lungs and all the other stuff in.I always cut his family jewels off a buck deer and once it's gutted split the pelvis bone and ring around the vent and remove it. Roll it over on it's belly and let the blood drain and drag it to the truck. Good luck and the sooner you can hang it and wash helps. Not only does it clean but it also cools the carcass.

4. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    all ican twll you is what I do, I imidiately cut the throat, and then I start at the stomach and go up to the base of the neck, that is just split the skin to the breast plate. Then go down to thebottom of the ribs and put the knife under the sternum, and split the ribs up to the base of the neck,making sure thy will split, then go to the back end and slice down to the pelvis spreading the legs and drawing the knife trought the tissue. then with the shap edge up I slide the knife up to the ribs cutting the skin and membrain around the stomach. the take you knife and split the pelvis tring not puncture the bladder or anything it will be a little tough. then slit the hind end down around the anis, to where you can reach up to the throat and pull the esoufugusdown to the stomach reach in and cut the rest of the mebrain around that and pull that an the intestines out through the pellvis. and cut around the a hole and cut it free. I dont worryabout cyotes because they all live together and the other deer wont go far. make sure all the esofoguss is removed . get the deer bled out and colled off as soon as possible. I also cut the sent gland s on the bucks off. :eek:oooh:

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Great info on field dressing. I do it the same way Countryhart (John) does. Take your time and do a clean job. I dress mine out where the deer lays. It does help to move the deer on a incline, where the rear of the deer is facing down. this helps the guts to roll out easier, especially on larger deer that only you are doing by yourself. I don't prefer gut hooks, because they can be difficult to sharpen properly. Any small bladed knife will do, as long it's shaving sharp. My friend uses a pocket knife and can dress out a deer like no tomorrow. He has had plenty of practice. I like my custom made 3" blade knife made by Skyblade. It's dressed out 5 deer with no sharping yet. Good steel that holds an edge.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    FIELD DRESSING A sharp knife is better than a dull knife when it comes to field dressing a buck. A sharp knife will actually reduce bad (unneeded) cuts and will make the entire procedure easier. Take your time when dressing a buck, mistakes due to haste will often require you to make a trip to the hospital to get stitches.
    Prop the animal on its back and begin field dressing by making a cut from just above the genitals up to the rib cage. You now have to make a choice. Some people cut through a number of the ribs in the rib cage to make it easier to reach up into the deer's chest. I find this unnecessary but its up to you. If you do plan to cut through some of the ribs you should do it of center to avoid the sternum. When you make this cut from just above the genital to the sternum take care not to cut too deep. You only want to cut through the hide and through the animals stomach muscle. If you go to deep you will puncture the deer's intestines and you will have to deal with the smell.

NOTE: If you plan on having the deer mounted don't cut any further up the belly than the sternum to save the cape.

Now turn the deer on its side and allow the guts to fall out. They will require help from you by cutting away the fat that will hold the intestines in. This is usually at the top of the cavity in the area near the spine. Care must be taken to not puncture or break the deer's bladder. The bladder will be in the area where the cavity narrows down at the hips. I leave this part of the deer's intestines intact but many or most do not. If you plan on removing all of this then you must have a very sharp knife and must ream the deer out from the back. Cutting around the anus and tying it off with string. Then cutting either forwards or backwards from the abdominal cavity to remove this entire area. Easier said than done. Care must be take not to puncture anything here this is where the deer droppings and urine are located. The deer's abdominal cavity is separated from the chest cavity by the diaphragm. This separates the lung and heart from the stomach and intestines. This must be cut out to remove all of the intestines.

This is how it usually works for me, with the guts half in and half out I cut the diaphragm away from the deer's chest cavity, I then reach as far up into the deer's chest as possible and grab the deer esophagus. With the other hand I carefully slide the knife into the deer's chest and work my knife up into the chest to cut the esophagus just above my other hand. After it is cut I simply pull the heart and lungs out and with it comes the rest of the intestines.
    Wash up.
    Drag the deer out.
    Load in truck.
    Go home or to camp for skinning.

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was going to say look it up on youtube too, I think there are a few good videos on there. One thing I just learned this year was that once you split the rib cage, you can reach up and grab the wind pipe and cut it. Once you've done this, if you just pull down on the windpipe towards the hind quarters, it will pretty much pull all the organs and guts out... way easier then trying to cut it all out. You might have to do a little cutting to free some stuff up, but if you do it right pretty much everything will just pull right out.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Due to an occurrence at deer camp about 10 years ago, I will add one idea that should be done before all the others that have been mentioned.

Make sure deer is dead!:wink:

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm not sure about all state regs. but here in FL if you are hunting in a game reserve (state mgmnt area) you must leave the sex organs intact prior to leaving the area. The antlers are not sufficient.

Good luck & have a great day, Elliot

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    A lot of good info here. I use the 2 finger technique with the knife in between. I had a guthook knife and it didn't work well for me (could just be me). I like to drag the deer out to my truck before gutting it. This makes the drag a little harder (more weight), but it keeps the dirt and debris out of the cavity. This is personal preference. If you AREN'T going to mount the deer, i like to slit its throat and then split the ribs and go up a little farther....you can then grab the windpipe from the chest cavity and pull it out. This gives you a nice handle and a lot of times you can pull the whole guts out like that.

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    There has been some great info on field dressing but I would like to add
    some advice on where to field dress. I agree it is important to dress and
    allow to cool down as soon as possible. But you should never dress a deer
    in or around your food plots or game trails. I hunt the same stands on the
    same deer trails all year. No way would I leave deer guts on the trail or
    around my stand. I will load adeer up on the 4-wheeler or truck and take
    him to a place on the property I can dress him and not hurt anything. I
    have a small mattock and a shovel on my truck so I can bury the guts
    if I get caught in a possition where I can't come out of the woods
    without disturbing the area someone else is hunting.

12. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    sharp knife smaller onrs with like aa three inch blade work best for me. dont have as much control of you knife in tight places, we bring 5 to 6 gallons of water with us to remove any remaining blood in cavity

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i can't add much to what's been said already, lots of good advice here on field dressing. i always cut the throat so i can use the windpipe as a handle. the vitals come right out with it when you pull after the cut. i dress them where they fall unless it's on a game trail. don't worry about coyotes, they will go where they want, and the gut pile will only bring in the ones that were there anyway. i'll give you a challenge though- next deer you kill, try skinning it yourself. you'll be amazed how easy it is, and the $ you'll end up saving. get you a butchering book and read it good during the off season. all it really takes is some time and a sharp knife. deer, like all other game animals, come apart pretty easy and butchering your own gives you all the control on what to take and what to leave. more care will be taken by someone who is eating what's being cut, in my opinion. i know it seems kind of intimidating when you've never done it, but after butchering one deer you'll automatically be brainstorming on different things to try the next go round. most processors around my area charge a little more than 100 bucks for just straight cuts.

14. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    hi i have to agree with a couple other people and say there really isnt much more you can say about how to field dress. around my house deciding to filed dress on the spot or not depends on a couple things. one is if im in open woods or in a tight cutover . in open woods i will field dress where the deer lays to make it lighter for the drag. in a tight cutover i dont because i dont want logs or brush stabbing and snagging the deer. makes it much more difficult. i also carry to knives with me. a small knife for gutting the deer and another for skinning. i am fortunate not to have to care about coyotes either because there arent alot around here and the counties have bounties on them so money in my pocket if i do get one.

15. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    really nothing to add catoon great info already . here's are worst enemy when dressing in the field and if ya hang it at home , heat , moisture , and dirt keep your Deer clean as possible .
    also u want a bone saw to get through the pelve's bone so u can extract the intrails be careful not to bust the bladder when doing this.

16. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Very good question, with a lot of good info. Can't really add a whole lot, looks like everyone has this covered. Just remember to be clean and proper cool down. I like to carry a gallon of water in the truck just to rinse the area of the inner hind quarters, just to be sure there is not any contamination left there.
    But that's why I process my own, never know who's meat you are getting at some places.

17. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only thing that I could add is that I carry a set of tree clippers with me. They split the pelvic bone and the ribs with no problem. You don't have to worry about dulling a knife that way.

18. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive used guthooks exclusively for 20 years on all my game. U can sharpen the "hook" with a round rat tail file. Every now and then when Im sharpening knives I'll "steel" the hook too, one of the round steels will work. My Camillus goes with me on every deer hunt, last night brother n law and I started figuring and since 2002 it's dressed over 100 deer. I sharpen the "hook" every 5 deer or so.