Fiddleworms in the Chattanooga Area?

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tennfisher, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Tennfisher

Tennfisher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Does anyone know of a source of fiddleworms in or around Hamilton County? The only fiddleworms I am ever seen came from Sand Mountain, Alabama. Would sure like to feed some to some catfish soon.:smile2:

Tennfisher

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Howard, that is the only place I know of that you can get them around here.

Welcome to the BOC buddy.

3. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OK, I give up. What are "fiddleworms?" Are we talking big nightcrawlers that you get out of the ground by stickin' a stick in the dirt and "fiddlin'" until they come crawling up?

I've heard of that, but never seen it done. Would like to.

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    yeah richard thats what it is... my step dad said about all over alabama, he used to live there... he would know not me

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

UM what are fiddle worms?

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i live on the cumberland plateau 80 miles north of hamilton county. i have found fiddle worms in several low lying areas here. most any woodsy area that stays damp year round has them. the slime on ours glows blue in the dark. i like to cut a small dogwood down about 30 inches high then saw down the middle with the dullest hand saw i can find.

7. Tennfisher

Tennfisher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Richard, I went with a friend to Sand Mountain many years ago after fiddleworms. Frankly, at the time I thought he was leading me on a "snipe hunt". We took a small saw, a tub, and a leaf rake. Picked out a sapling, raked all the leaves away for about 5 feet around the tree, cut if off about 2 feet above the ground, and proceeded to run the saw teeth backwards across the top of the stump. In a few minutes we had earthworms up to 14-15 inches in length and near the diameter of a pencil crawling out of the ground. We collected a bunch and went jugging on Chickamauga that night. That's when I learned that the "fiddleworms" are bioluminescent when you stick them with a fish hook, they glow just like fireflies.

Now some of you may think I'm making this up, but just ask any of the Sand Mountain boys, this is nothing new. By the way, a big glob of fiddleworms on a jug line can be pretty attractive to channel cats, judging from the results we got all those years ago.

I have lost my contact, but would sure like to get some of these things again.

Tennfisher

8. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks... I would like to see that.

9. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'll second that!

10. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I guess I will join in and ask what are they as well?

11. Tennfisher

Tennfisher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Okay,
    Between Richard, TnVolCat, and Aftercats, I guess the guantlet has been tossed. I don't know how successful a fiddleworm hunt would be this time of the year as dry as it has been, I suspect that they would be deep. But I will commit to making an attempt, documenting with pictures, just what this is about.

Tennfisher

12. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We're standing by for a report... good luck!