Fiberglass transom damage, need help.

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Sigmar, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well some of you may remember that I had bought a used boat a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had looked over the boat fairly well. However the 1st couple of times I put it in the water I had engine problems which I got fixed for a couple of hundred dollars. Now that I finally got to really run it I found a major problem that was hidden by dirt in the wash well of the transom where the motor is hung. A crack in the fiberglass about 6 inchs long (now that I had washed the dirt out) which will flex to about 3/8's wide when I add power to the motor. I live in Arlington and looking for someone reliable that can hopefully fix this. So any suggestions before I slit my wrists?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Its not as bad as it sounds. You should be able to get that fixed fairly cheap. Its the painting that gets expensive. Good luck with the boat and happy catfishing.

3. trinityman

trinityman New Member

State:
    texas
    you can buy a fiberglass kit at lowes or homedepot comes with the fiberglass in it...bout 50 bucks...i think....good luck.....

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    North Texas Fiberglass does good work from what i see.

5. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well the cheapest I've found so far is 1500.00. The place you mentioned James wants 3500.00. You'd think this was a yacht instead of a little tri hull. Only two options I see is buy another hull or try to fix it myself (which I'm not truly comfortable trying) the material will run around 200 to 250. Also the problem with trying to fix it myself is I'm somewhat disabled due to back and heart issues so not sure which way to go. Anyone know how to do this for a reasonable price? Of course willing to help all I can.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just go slit the wrists of who ya bought it from. LOL! Sorry for your misfortune.

7. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Sigmar, try taking some pictures of the crack and include enough of the area so we can see what you're talking about . Also take a picture of the broad area , what about the paint, Fiberglass is easy to work but hard to finish is it in an area where you could bolt a piece of light alum. angle in for strength. Are you talking about inside the transom splash well where the motor bolts thru the transom? How nice a boat is this? Fishing boat-ski boat-$1000.00--$5000.00. makes a dif how much you want to speed on it. Is the transom area rotted out?
    Let us Know!!

8. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here are a few pics will send two more

Attached Files:

9. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Darn I actually figured out how to do this lol

Attached Files:

10. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I bought the boat the well had dirt and grease in it so I didn't see any cracks in that area. I paid 2k for the boat :cool2: and put a couple of hundred in the motor to get it running right. Motor runs great, gets up to 35/38 mph with two good sized people in it. Getting a boat was kinda my bucket wish just didn't think the boat would kick the bucket before I did:sad2: Anyway appreciate any suggestions or help.

11. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Not having a physical look at it, from the pictures I'll be willing to bet the transom is rotted past the point that just fiberglassing over it is not going to be a way to repair. Look over Craigslist, there are hulls all the time on there that some folks are willing to give away.

12. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sigmar no better than I can see this I believe you need a transom replacement not repair. I think you got scammed. I'll bet the seller was aware of this problem. Aside from a nasty letter from a lawyer which may get you nothing or maybe a partial refund.

I've done this with bigger boats and it's not a job for an inexperienced do it selfer. It's a common problem. This company makes a system http://transomrepair.com/zk/

I'd look for a hull. Bad deal this is a type of problem that can you and your passengers killed. Good luck.

13. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Sigmar I'm afraid I agree with some of the posts. However You own it now and if the motor is good as you say. i'd take the motor off and look at the transom after it's cleaned up. Looks to me like one of the pictures shows a steel plate on the back under the motor like maybe someone knew it was bad. Transoms can get you hurt for sure. I hope the Trailer is decent. I wish You were closer so we could mess with it. Good luck!!

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The crack doesn't really bother me. It's actually the splash well that is cracked. the splashwell I'm sure has a portion of load bearing built into it by tieing into the transom. Probally as a stiffener more then anything.

My main concern would be the transom itself.
    If the wood is rotten in the transom its repairable with you doing the work yourself. It's just time consuming digging out all that wood.

I would have to take a hammer and tap around that transom and even drill some small pilot holes to look at the shavings before I could make a determination.
    Chances are if the boat is old and its spent much of its life in the weather a portion or the entire transom is rotten.

Typically they rot around penetrations like motor mount holes and they start rotting around the bottom edge of the transom where water collects in the bilge.

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    do a quick search on transome repair, it will show u lots of step by step transome repairs where they leave the outside glass and replace the inside wood and glass. They even show how to do it without wood so that becomes an non existant problem in the future

16. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I'm going to try and repair this myself. I think I'm going to go with using Seacast's product, looks to be a more permanent solution. I'll take pics as I go and let ya'll know how it goes.

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Sigmar I know how to fix your boat but I'm not about to try to tell you how to do it with out me seeing the boat.I'm in a wheel chair due to my messed up spine but I would bet us two cripples could get it fixed so it's to bad we live so far apart.

18. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    here is a cripple that might could help if we could get together where do you live. give me youre phone number I will call you tonight. Thanks Sam Davis

19. Mike Sebranek

Mike Sebranek New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wow!! I am sorry to hear that, My wifes uncle was almost in the same boat (excuse the pun), When he was buying a boat, however he had his friend look it over (He works for a boat repair shop) and found the same thing. The guy would only go down $500 because of it. It's a shame too. The boat was nice, Like yours. Needless to say it stayed with the previous owner.

20. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well going to get started today on taking the motor and top cap off. First will have to build a frame to put the motor on so I can store it while doing the repairs. Then on to unhooking all the cables and wiring to the motor. Will take pics so I can remember how they go back on. Crossing my fingers that this goes smooth and I don't screw something else up:confused2: