Fiberglass Restore

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Jedicazador, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey just wanted to pass this along, I bought a bass boat bout a year ago, the finish was weathered and horrible, I tried spraying it with polyurethane it was pretty when it dried but in about a month it turned yellow. I had to sand that away and while I was polishing the chrome with a product named flitz (I've used this only on my firearms in the past), I rubbed a little on my fiberglass.
    It turned my faded finish into a nice deep glossy finish. It's held up now for some time and beads any water off that gets on it.
    The other products were gonna charge me near a hundred dollars, this stuff was was under twenty. I hope any of y'all who need to repair the finish on your boat can use this info to help your boats finish.
    Mike

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    In the case of fiberglass, I think Flitz works mostly as a rubbing compound. You could probably get the same result from regular rubbing compound...which is cheaper than Flitz I believe.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You get the right kind of clear coat you can spray that over gelcoat properly prepped.
    Never done it but seen it done. Old man at work did it on a bassboat with real good results.