fiberglass modification question

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by neocats, Feb 27, 2008.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I just got this '57 Glasspar Avalon. I would like to open up the bow and convert to a dual console with a walk through, add a deck and livewell up front. Is this possible without causing structural problems. These are the best two pics I have right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm assuming when you say open up the front you mean remove the "hood" and replace it with deck that sits lower. I would think that as long as you tie the new deck in to the sides well you'd still retain the structural strength up front as far as horizontal bracing.

I will say that with my experience reworking a '61 Elgin that the fiberglass on the old hulls like that is relatively thin. Good luck with it~

Branden

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    My opinion is that area is part of the main structure of the boat. If it is removed to do the mods you are thinking about. You will need to replaces the structure with something that will still keep the structural integrity in tact. I am sure it could be done and with great results. I am just not sure how. :confused2:
    Looks like a lot of work but if your like me that is the fun part. I enjoy a good challenge and doing things myself to make it what i want. There is just more satisfaction in the end product. Good luck with the project.
    David

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I got a thing for old boats so I would say, don't do it!

Go for the upgraded restore! Kind of a 1950s meets 2008s, with maybe just a touch of "hot rod" thrown in.

Custom windshield, New seating config. (never cared for those benches) 2008 mechanicals and electrics. Some nice wood trim, maybe a steering wheel out of a 50s car. Some custom storage. New paint.

No, would do much for fishing but I can see that as one slick watercraft.:big_smile:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There is an official Glaspar owners association.
    No big deal. People have chopped and sawed on 57 Chevies for years.

I doubt there is much structural to the top. It was the style.
    I imagine it does create some stiffness which can be reinstituted with solid glass to glass construction rather then some type of glue and screw.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is a gentleman in OKC who takes those old style boats, cuts the tops off of them, bolts water resistant 2 X 4's to the sides, covers them with fiberglass cloth, and just really opens the boat up. He gets a lot of these boats gave to him, and after he opens them up the sales them for a pretty profit. If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you how to get in touch with him.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A boat that old with a national association as a following , I'd have to research into the restored value.
    Never can tell.
    I'm positive it doesnt rate like some of the old Chris Crafts that can bring a quarter mil on the block.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    did it to a22ft. Starcraft holiday ,works fine ,lots of room strong as ever , sorry no picts