fiberglass decking

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by OkieBo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    How should i go about placing a new deck on my boat. By deck i mean raised deck for storage, fishing platform,fuel and livewell. I have a 91 Intl. Skimmer. It is a 18'6" x 8' fiberglass skiff boat. It was used for shelling on the mississippi river so the only decking was forward on the bow. And it was plywood(rotted out).basically i have a virgin shell to work with. I want place a deck in front and a small one in the rear Should i farm the work out to a pro? I would be up to doing this myself.

2. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Go for it. There are lots of boat fixing articles and information here and on the rest of the net. Since it is a glass boat, you doing your own work will also let you see if there is more to fix than can be easily seen. Good Luck Fishing and Fixing.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    good advice, Buck. Welcome to the B.O.C. Your now one number away from the magic '10'.

4. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have rebuilt the deck on mine as well as the stern. It is simple but then again its a little unnerving until you get the feel of things. Build you a deck to fit and size it exactly to fit the area as well as your needs. Simple part done. You will need to buy you enough fiberglass, comes in sheets or rolls to cover the entire area with plenty excess for errors. You need the heaviest you can get. Buy you some fiberglass rasin, about a gallon should do. Put deck in place marking edges on the boat bottom, lightly sand these areas. Clean area well. Put deck in place, lay out fiberglas, getting all lumps and crinkles out. Paint on the resin making sure to have atleast 4 to 6 inches outward. Put several coats on it. Next day lightly sand down and paint. Please contact me if you would like more detail. Makes a person feel good when your fishing from something you built.......

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can do it. I would just spend some time reading online about boatbuilding and probally go look for a magazine at any bookstore called Wooden Boat Magazine. You'll see numerous people use prducts and how they do.

If you build your decks out of wood I have one piece of advice. EPOXY.
    Skip the fiberlass resins as they will bond very poorly with wood and are not anywhere close to being waterproof. Thats exactly why you have the mess you have right now. Wrong product for the job. People fail to see this.
    You can go in these old boats and grab hold of an edge of glass on a floor and rip it up in huge sections because that stuff is not designed to bond with a wood substrate. Its designed solely to bond glass to glass. That can and never will happen with epoxy.
    The marine epoxies were designed specifically to bond with wood and are very very close to being 100% waterproof.
    If you use any American plywood you'll have to glass it with atleast a 4 oz cloth to prevent it from checking. American plywood checks. The foreign marine plies like Meranti and Gaboon, do not.

Epoxy costs more. Typically around 80 bucks a gallon. You'll save money in the long run and be happier when the job is completed.

6. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
  7. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Will i have to use marine grade plywood?

This boat has already had the foam replaced.

I will get pics this weekend of what i am starting with. I got it home sunday during that horrible wind storm. Went from 14mpg to 10.2 in the truck. This thing is wider than my expedition.

8. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    In regards to the plywood, Is this just for a mold or will i actually be wrapping the fiberglass around it and installing it?

Looking at

9. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    here are a few pics i shot this evening. The shaded area on the bow is where the old plywood was.

Attached Files:

10. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    A few more. You can see that my wifes little car could fit inside the boat in the last post!

Attached Files:

11. John Porter

John Porter New Member

State:
    Murphy,North Carolina
    I can see that hull as alot of potential. Wouldn't I love to have something like that to rebuild. Thanks for posting the pictures..

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nice looking rig!

You'll actually be applying the fiberglass or epoxy resin and cloth to the wood and installing the wood.

Lots of ways to do it, but I'll typically put a coat of resin on the wood to let it "soak up" and seal it. Once that's cured I'll sand it and clean it thoroughly.

Then I'll measure and cut out my cloth pieces. Couple of ways to do it, but I prefer to lay a coat of resin, immediately apply my cloth, and then immediately put another coat of resin on, spreading the resin and forcing bubbles out with a plastic bondo squeegee. This ensures your cloth is wetted all the way through and that you get a good bond with your wood. It's messy and time consuming when you're learning, so until you get it down you probably want to mix small batches of your resin, whether epoxy or fiberglass, so it doesn't cure on you in the can.

Depending on the finish you want, once this coat has cured you can sand it again and put on another coat of resin (or resin and cloth if you want to make it stronger) to make it smooth. Let that coat cure, sand it smooth, and paint it.

It's not that tough, but in case you're not familliar with using it, fiberglass resin REEKS and is kind of hard on the ol' brain cells:eek:oooh: Epoxy is more expensive, but the type I used is almost odorless and was just generally more user friendly than glass. Either one will work, but as Mark J alluded to, the epoxy is better. If you're just putting in a casting deck I'd think you could use either one and it'd still last a loooong time. Good luck with it!

Branden

13. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I found a pic of a 20 footer that would probably have the same concept as i would like. It just does not have the storage room that i would like.

Attached Files:

14. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    So when fiberglassing over the plywood should both sides be fiberglassed with marine plywood?

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I would glass both sides, but would probably only put cloth on the top side. If you use 5/8 or 3/4 plywood you could probably get away with just coating it with resin to water proof it without even using the cloth. I would put 2 coats on though, one as a base to soak into the wood and the second as a "finish" coat to make it nice and smooth so when you paint it it looks good.

16. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Branden, I had a chance to read your thread on your boat renovation. You did a very good job! What was the wood you used for the floor? I thought after i get my deck and console accomplished i would put a type of tempory wood slat floor down for water to travel under to the back of the boat. Kind of like some rescue boats i have seen.

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks, it's getting there. One of these days I may get it back on the water, even:smile2:

I put 2 part foam in between the ribs, then put down 1/4 plywood and then 1/4 toungue and groove pine boards. It's all laminated with epoxy and the pine has one layer of fiberglass cloth in it for some added strenght/waterproofing.

Are you going to put down ribs on your floor and then the slats over with a small gap for drainage between, kind of like a deck on a house? That will be sweet!

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sweet for a cruiser maybe. Fishing it's going to start sucking real bad when you drop hooks, swivels, and anything else that'll find a crack including those attached to rods and reels.:smile2:

19. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well I was thinking for it to be a drop in instead of being permanent. That way would simply pick it up in sections and clean under it? Would the weight be to great? Any ways it would be the last thing that i do!

20. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I know i asked earlier but it was not clear if i should use marine plywood or ?