Fiberglass boat

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by SGTREDNECK, Jul 28, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can you safely put rod holders directly into a fiber glass boat. Or do you think they will break off and i will loose my rod?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You need to put a backing plate on the underside of the glass you are attaching to.
    SOME glass boats have pieces of plywood laminated within the glass on the gunnels for stiffeners like where people are are apt to stand getting in or out of the boat. I wouldn't rely on them though.

Drill all the way through the glass, use through bolts, a backing plate, and preferably nylock nuts. All stainless of course. Your backing plate can be wood.
    The purpose of the plate is to spread the load over a larger area instead of concentrating it around a couple of screws and a little glass.

Just screwing to the glass is a recipe for disaster for your tackle and your gel coat. Your gel coat will crack along with the glass.

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How do I get to the back? Do I have to cut a hole in the inside and then cover it back up? I am just going by pictures right now. I dont think i can get to the underside of the rail.

4. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive had them on mine for a long time now! just drill a pilot hole and use coarse threaded stainlees wood screws! ive not had a problem with gettin loose or rippin out i even do alot of drifting in heavy current and have been snaged hard and they stil are tight! but i do have a peice of board constructed in my rails like some one else had said! goood luck!

Attached Files:

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I rarely agree with dr j but I trust his opinion when it comes to boats and electric.