Fiberglass Boat Repair

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BigCatDreaming, Feb 23, 2007.

1. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is there any type of paint/sealant that you can spread on a fiberglass boat that acts as both a paint and sealant? I'm new to this fiberglass stuff. I just remember my dad always had an aluminum boat. If you know of something like that could you please post where I could purchase some?

2. BigCatDreaming

State:
    Illinois

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Color on a fiberglass boat is achieved through a "gel" coat. Although you can apply a gel coat at home, it is extremely difficult to get an appropriate coating on just a patch. If your trying to do the whole boat, your gonna need a lot of luck. Your best bet would probably be to repair the fiberglass boat using the small kits sold at Wal-marts or boat stores. I know you don't want to hear it, but rubbing compound and elbow grease will do more to restore a fiberglass boat than any thing else. It may look a little rough with a patch, but it should be safe, it will float, and you can enjoy fishing from it. However, if your overly concerned about appearances, you can always buy a new boat. LOL I guess it is just me, but I would not recommend painting a fiberglass boat. It usually comes right off again.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    To put another finish on top of an old fiberglass boat would more then likely cost more in time, effort, and materials then you are willing to spend.
    None of the products are cheap and you first have to get all the contaminates off what is there so the new will stick.
    Wax, grease, polish, oil ect.

The best option. Spray it with Imron or Awl Grip. Both are expensive and require a professional to spray it unless you want to die.
    :eek:oooh:

5. BigCatDreaming

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah I'm not up for dying over a boat. I'll just save up some money and try to find a fiberglass repair shop. If i get real annoyed with the color.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    What type of wax would you guys recommend for trying to make the paint glossy again

7. BigCatDreaming

State:
    Illinois
  8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Matt, try a small grit polishing compound. That and three or four elbows. Should get it done with that... if not, find more elbows. lOL

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    john if you are just wanting to paint your boat you can go to ace hardware and get some epoxy paint.it comes in different colors.mix it like the directions say.if you have a leake get some fiberglass resin with the glass fibere already mixed in.repair crack,sand well,and then paint.works pretty good.