Fiberglass boat on a smaller river.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Johnny316, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Johnny316

Johnny316 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I live in Moorhead Minnesota on the Red River. Nice Channel cat river. The question is would it be safe to bring a older tri hall fiberglass boat on the river?

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    just a opinion. if the boat has been checked and it is in good shape then its a matter of what kind of water? white water, rapids or maby a wide slow moving river. you have to deside if the boat and motor is ok for that water.
    just use your head and you should be ok!

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Johnny, welcome to the Brotherhood. I'm not familiar with your area but you could probably hang around a bait shop and visit with some old timers and find out. Shoot that's a good way to find out about a lot of stuff. You might go down to the place you're wanting to fish and check and see what the other folks are using. Hope this helps.

ST

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I would check with some of the old timers and see how deep the river is at certain spots... if theres a navagational chart for the river then i'd go check with that.... ummm it also depends on the boat its self... the trihull should run a little higher then a v bottom but since its fiberglass its going to ride lower then an aluminum. If the river is at all rocky or snag(/deadhead, or trees that are just under the water) infested i wouldn't be inclined to put the boat on there.. I'd actually go get a 12-14ft jon and a little motor (trolling if the current isn't to bad, true outboard if it is swifter) it'll ride alittle bit higher and not tend to get stuck as much... if it has really shallow areas and riffles there are motors called mud motors made for reallly shallow water... plus you could always push pole it...

For the red river... depending on what part it is i'd say go for it... thats a deep enough river that i wouldn't really worry too much...

5. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    i personally would go with aluminum boat

6. Johnny316

Johnny316 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I should have put this in the message in the first place. The river in my area runs 17 to 25 feet. I see big v-hull sit by the dam sometimes. Most people put their boat in the river 100 mile north. I never thought about going to the bait shop to ask though. I'll do that this weekend. Thanks for all that responded.

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    John
    As long as you boat is in good working order it will be fine. The reason most people use metal boats in rivers is that the water they are fishing is shallow. An Alum. boat is lighter and has a shallower draft, plus it will roll over stumps and rocks a little better than fiberglass boats will.