Fiberglass bait tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by bnt55, Aug 19, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Well I have started the build, I tore apart the front of my boat tonight and I am going to put in a 50 gal livewell/baitwell made out of ext plywood and glassed in real nicely. Has anyone made their own bait tank for their boat out of wood and fiberglass? If so any pointers for me? Here are some pictures, I will be updating as I go along.

Thanks
    Bill

Attached Files:

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Looks like a good start, but what is 50 gallons of water weight going to do and it on the front? Please be careful !

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah bill he has a good point....how high does your bow stick out of the water in that jon boat....cuz 50 gallons is a lot of weight.....its like 8 pounds to a gallon....so u might wanna scoot it back a little at least..depending on how high it sits up

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    actually the front casting deck will be for storage, the tank will be sitting behind the deck towards the transom. I took a friend out on the river the other day and he is around 300+ lbs and the boat actually rode better. I have a 24 gallon gas tank and my fat butt sitting in the rear. I would imagine that I will only fill it halfway for bait most of the time, but it is always nice to have some extra room for those fish I want to invite home for dinner.