Fiberglass attachments????

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BIG GEORGE, Oct 28, 2008.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Doin quite a bit of research on boats. I'm fixin to pull the trigger on a new one. For many reasons I'm leanin toward a local dealer. All they have are Sundance boats. I'm pleased with what they have to offer,very pleased as a matter of fact. My only concern is attaching rod holders to a solid fiberglass boat that has no way of attachin a backing plate underneath. I've never had to attach somethin to a solid fiberglass boat. I'm curious as to what is the best method to do this. I'm well aware of measure twice and drill once. I just don't get a warm fuzzy feelin about doin this and not bein able to put a backin plate on the bolts. I can just see a nice Blue from the Potomac pullin down on my rod and me wavein "BYE BYE" to it. LOL! Do I wanna drill and sink a good rawl plug in there then attach the rod holder base and finish it off with a good marine epoxy? I don't know. I'm all ears. LOL! THANX!

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Geo.,
    Most rail that I have seen are hollow. I think I would make me a plate and attach with winged toggle bolts. Just a tough

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
  4. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    BG,

I checked out their website, which model are ya lookin at and where are ya puttin those holders, down the sides, along the back, both?
    ...W

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

A couple on the sides and some on the back. I'm lookin hard at the B18CC model. Lots of width. Also they will configure the boat how I want it. Center console moved forward and do away with the swing back seat. I wanna be able to dance in there. LOL! Thanx for the links.

6. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I used screws and gorilla glue it will stick snot on a window glass it lill hold. Thanks Sam Davis

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Spread the load.
    SOME fiberglass boats have plywood imbedded in the glass on the gunnels for strength because people are stepping on them boarding the boat but there aint much of a way to know with a Sundance except maybe by someone with the experience.

What I would probally do is use flat stainless stock 3 or 4 feet long mounted by 6 or 8 of the drop in rubber toggles used to mount bow mount trolling motors.
    Spread the load over a larger area with multiple fasteners.

This could easily be made to look professional even by an amateur.

I'd still rather have access to a backing plate. What is the reason for no access? Can a 4,6,or 8" waterproof access hatch be installed to give access?

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    George, I have a Sunbird fiberglass boat and instead of attaching rod holders I opted to have recessed holders put in where possible. The front of my boat has a rail around it and I have holders hooked to that. Can you get them to put a low rail on your boat?

I also had my brother fabricate a multiple rod holder set-up that I can attach to the back of my boat by sliding it into the two most rear holders on either side. It will hold 6 rods if I used all the slots. I am going to pick it up Thursday and head stright to the water. Oh yeah, it is nice to have a brother with a machine shop! :wink:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Mark. I'm feelin what ya are sayin. Accordin to the website there is absolutely no wood at all in this boat. Sides are solid so an access panel may be out of the question.

Jon. HMMMM! LOL! I got a nice clear picture of what ya are describein. That will work for sure. Just not quite sold on a rack of rod holders.:cool2: Seen em in action many times on the Potomac. When one rod gets a good hit if ya didn't see it rite away its hard to tell wich rod to take out cause they are all shakein. LOL! I would imagine that makein the entire setup good and stiff could solve this.

THANX for the replys.

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    BIG GEORGE, if you get the Sundance, get the rear and side rails put on it. Then, get the rod holder brackets and place them on the rails and then screw in your rod holds. I did not use the lock nuts on the bracket that goes on the rail, I used wing nuts and tighten them with a hammer. I will take a photo of them if you desire and post them. The post for the rod holder also has a wing nut and I do the hammer number on them. Soon or later a little rust or whatever will set in on the wing nuts and they will not turn with a major impact. As for the other rods bouncing when you get a strike on one on the same rail, it is hardly noticeable or you will learn to tell the difference in the action.

You are correct about there being no wood in the Sundance.

11. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    If you tighten wing nuts with a hammer.....
    ....you might be a redneck!!

Mac, you cracked me up with that one:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:...W

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    George, aren't you going to have to build a bigger driveway?

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nope. I'm just gonna park it on the front lawn. LOL!

14. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    George, the key there is "brother with a machine shop"

It will be solid and we have already devised a simple plan for lockin down the bar for zero movement. I'll let you know how it works.

15. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    BG, the attached photo's depicts my rod holder arrangement on my Sundance.