Fewer Snags while shore or boat fishing.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LandsCats, Jan 11, 2008.

1. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I have seen many shore and boat anglers fighting to get their snags out. When watching them I have noticed how many times they get snagged up when reeling their lines in. They have to remember that when the reeling back their lines most often they are dragging their hooks accross the bottom just waiting for the first snag to grab ahold.

Remember this simple step when your going to reel in your line.

Snap the rod tip up and keep it up while reeling fast keeping the hook of the bottom. This will help cut down the number of snags you get, and save on your tackle bill.

Hope this little tip helps a few of you out.

2. Yellercat

Yellercat New Member

State:
    Texas
    As simple and common sense suggestion that I have found to be true.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If it's really snaggy, I abandon my Carolina rig, and go with the sinker on bottom, with the hook 12-18 inches above it, on a loop. Above that, I put a small float, and I use braid, which floats (mono sinks).

All of these things work together to keep the rig out of Snag City.

I'm out, now, and need to pour some, but those long, thin pencil leads will slide through stuff that will snag bulkier leads.

4. okiejc

okiejc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's good solid information, and it works.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Reeling fast does make a big difference. Also when I do get snagged up which is rare, I usualy can puul out of it, I use braid and a realy heavy leader, usualy will partialy straighten a hook. Also alot of times its not the hook getting snagged, alot of times it is the weight.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    To add something else, remember when you do get snagged don't just pull striaght back, try side to side with a snatching motion. Let some slack out and see if the current might loosing it up. If that doesn't help easily pull back adding a little pressure each time and slowly pull back. These things I listed has gotten many a lure back. Like this weekend fishing with my 6 year old, when she got hung up she would just pull straight back, I would get the lure out by jerking the fishing pole to the right or left. Works more than it doesn't for me.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Never thought of snapping it up like that, nice tip.:wink:

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I like to do that while bank fishing. Thats great info and it works for sure. I try to tell buddies of mine that go with me to keep that rod high and reel fast.:wink: