Few questions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Muleskinner, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    I am quiet sure that I could do a lot of research from different threads and answer all of these questions. But I just never seem to have enough time too. So will any of you please throw in your 2 cents here please? I have catfished all of my life but have never been taught any correct ways of doing it. Yet i have caught my fair share of fish. But never any monsters. I am not worried about that to much long as I can catch enough for the skillet. But let me get on to my questions.

1- From reading older post the majority of yall likes wither the circle hooks are the Kahle hooks. I do not want to know which one is best because everyone has different opinions. They both must work good. So are these particular hooks only for cut are live baits? It seems that they would be not very good for dough baits? I have always used a treble hook for dough bait. Does Kahle are someone that makes the circle hooks have something on the single hooks that helps hold the dough bait on?

2- I also understand that your monster cat's are usually caught from live bait. Is this true are can you catch some of the grandaddys with dough bait?

3- When your fishing for food do you normally have at least two hooks on your line?

I will probably have a few more to add to this later. But I just want to get a few replies from this 1st. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The big fish usualy will be caught on god size large bait, either alive or dead but preferably alive. As in what style of hook to use it is realy up to you, one of my favorite is tru turn hooks, but I have all styles of hooks and do switch between them. Using more than one hook to catch catfish can work out good, especialy in presenting more than one type of bait. Treble hooks are best for dough bait. Try diffrent things and not just what from people tale you.:tounge_out:

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Somehow muleskinners post and my reply have swithed places, weird.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    #1 yeah they make hooks with springs curled around them so when you use dough bait it will stay on.You can find them on single hooks and treble hooks.I like using the treble hooks with the spring on them when using dough.

#2 you can catch the big ones on dough but not as likely as if you were using live or cut bait.

#3 no

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    My 2 cents:

1. Looper Rigs can be used with circle and kahle hooks very effectively. The Lopper if great for dough bait and works exceptionally with punch bait like Danny King's.

2. It is rare to catch the larger fish on dough bait. The bigger fish are looking for a more substaintial meal.

3. My state allows 2 hooks per line, but I only use one. I am leary of the extra knots being a weak spot when I hook into that monster.