Few questions

Discussion in 'Boating' started by tehrealmccoy, May 23, 2007.

1. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Hello everybody, I've been around since... oh well 2003 but haven't posted in like.. two years.

I recently bought my first jon boat. She's an old river warrior, 12 foot and full of... not dirt, not fury, but a little in between.

Took her out today and she went through rapids like a champ. Getting back up rapids turned out to be a problem. Anyone know any good way to paddle up rapids without getting washed down river further? I doubt a trolling motor would help any.

Then comes to my next question. I'm going to be buying a trolling motor for it soon. How well will a 34 lbs thrust trolling motor push a 12 foot jon boat with 3 guys in it? Also, it's the deep cycle style battery I want, correct? And are there any chargers out there that will charge the battery while the motor runs?

THANKS a lot!
    Brian

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Lets try to answer your question this way... what does the data plate on the rear transom say about max weight...I think the boating industry used a weight of 165 per adult person. Then the weight of the trolling motor and battery, cooler of ice, bait, tackle, etc...about then you may be in trouble. A 12 foot jon boat is usually a rugged boat, good for about two people. Run and experiment and put it in calm water, load it up as though you were heading out, then check how much clearance you have between the top of the sides and the water. The more clearance you have, the better you are. I'm not stating these facts to be negative about your endeavor, just want you and your friends to be safe. Overloading a boat is a sure trip to a disaster.

The best way I have found to navigate rapids is to get out and walk, towing the boat behind me or beside me. Now, the rapids in Oklahoma is nothing to write home about, so it's not like the white water rafting you watch on TV. But, I just can't make my boat go upstream in swift water. Maybe you could portage it like they did in the days of Lewis and Clark, or Mike Fink of keel boat fame. LOL But whatever you do, please be safe doing it.

3. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    We've already had it out numerous times probably with it over the weight limit of it. Water never came close to the sides, and it was surprisingly stable.

Could someone answer my trolling motor question? :)

4. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I AGREE WITH AWSHUCKS, THERE IS A LOT YOU NEED TO CHECK AND SOME INFORMATION IS LEFT OUT. LIKE HOW MUCH WEIGHT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT AND ALL THE FISHING GEAR, ETC. I HAVE A 14 FOOT JONBOAT WITH A 9 HP SEAKING. IT DOES ALRIGHT AND HAVE A 30 LB THRUST MINNKOTA TROLLING MOTOR. IT DOES THE JOB MOVING FROM SPOT TO SPOT AND ALL, BUT IN A RIVER? I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THAT. I RECENTLY TRIED EVERYTHING OUT AT ARKANSAS RIVER IN LITTLE ROCK,AR. AND THAT WATER WAS MOVING PRETTY GOOD. HAD ANOTHER GUY WITH ME AND I DON'T THINK I WOULD WANT TO PUSH IT FOR A 3 PERSON IN THE BOAT WITH ME ON THE RIVER. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE PRETTY CALM FOR ME TO RISK THE 3RD PERSON. I HAVE MY BOAT DECKED OUT SOME WITH 3/4 IN PLYWWOD IN THE FRONT AND 1/2 IN THE MIDDLE AND CARPETED. EITHER WAY YOU GO JUST BE SAFE. GOOD LUCK!

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)

The only way to charge it while on the water is to put electricity back into it.That would involve a generator running to produce it,or an outboard with an alternator,or perhaps a solar cell trickle charger.

Short answer...no

Buy a back-up battery for 60$ and your worries are over....provided it is fully charged:big_smile:

6. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    when i got my trolling motor i talked to the guy to figure out what i wanted. I was originally going to just get a small 30 lb thrust one for my 14 ft boat. I'm not a small guy and neither is my buddy who is normally with me. Between him and I and all of the gear (tackle, motor, trolling motor, etc) we have close to prolly 500 pounds. If there's much of a current, it's not gonna move you very well, especially if theres a storm or a fast current. I ended up getting the 46 lb thrust one with a decent deep cycle ( ya to that question, deep cycle's the way to go) so i don't neccesarily have to run it on it's top speed to move us, thus, saving more battery.

Depending on the current of the river tho, i'm not sure how well it'd push you up river.

7. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    The river is really shallow with a few deep spots and the water is really calm for the most part, besides the few rapids.