few questions

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by kaous, Jan 16, 2009.

1. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey guys.

I am fairly new to the cat fishing fun. I was just wondering where are some good spots to fish at around the Clarksville area. I've been currently fishing down at the cumberland steam plant and only caught some 1 to 2 lbs there. Was also wondering on how to rig my pole. currently i've been useing a 3 way swivle with a 6/0 circle hook and a 3 ounce weight(not really sure if that is to light for the area). I've been reading that most guys use a 18inch or more leader and i was wondering if that would help out any on catching the fish. I've also been currently useing the guts of the skip jacks i've been getting and was just wondering i should use chunks or like fillet pieces of meat. Any answers to these questions would be a huge help.

GL fishing out there and have fun.:smile2:

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    WELCOME to the brotherhood.you have asked the right question for this thread!! I dont fish up that far but many of our members do. I bet you will have lots of good info in no time.best of luck to you.
    smokey

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    You can use all of the skipjack for bait. The guts, the head and the meat all are very good bait.

4. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    For the big ones I don't think you can beat the head or even 1/2 or more of the whole skipjack. It will cut down on the number of bites but I have probably caught 90% of all the fish I catch over 25# on the heads(or more)

5. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Eric Welcome !!!! I fish mostly downriver from there around Dover but they do catch a lot of fish in that area of the steam plant.As far as the rig goes I personally think about all kinds of rigs will catch fish.Some are better depending on circumstances than others.If your confident in what your using thats what I would use.As far as bait I see a lot of people using just guts lately.I really dont know why.Like Griz and Roger said the whole bait is normally used with success and I would be hard pressed to use anything besides the head first if I had a skipjack.I also dont catch a lot of fish but a lot of times the quality is maybe better.

6. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for the welcomes and all the info so far guys. i really appreciate it.:smile2:

GL out there and have fun.

7. skbrilo

skbrilo Member

State:
    Nashville, TN
    3 oz. of weight should work most days. But some days you may have to double that. Just have plenty of weight on hand. The key... is make sure your bait is on the bottom.

I use 10/0 and 8/0 circle hooks. No roll sinkers... Large bait!

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    When I use guts I get more bites but they are from the smaller sized cats
    (1/2-2lbs). All of the bigger fish I catch are on heads, steak type cuts or whole Live fish.

As far as rigs go it all just depends on the situation but 100% of the time it is some sort of variation of a 3-way. I don't like carolina rigs because I don't like having my weight on the main line. The sinker (being the heaviest part of the rig) will be the most likely to get hung in cover. I've lost fish before using th Carolina rig because my sinker will get hung in rocks. On my 3-ways I use a led line that can break if it gets hung.

9. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Welcome to the BOC Eric and these folks here will stear you in the right direction every time. There are a lot of opinions and ways you just have to experiment and find what work on any given day.

10. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    Welcome Eric..I fish the cumberland river most times about an hour south of you.The rig you are using is fine. I personally rig mine like you would a carolina rig just with heavy wieght.(3 to 5 oz). But I fish a lot of dams in early spring and prefer skip guts..The truth is though that you can't go wrong with skips.If you aren't getting bites in 20 or 30 minutes. Move, go after the active fish.you'll get um..good luck!:smile2:

11. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hey Eric, usually the catfish really start biting in the spring about april and may time. i have a dip net to use up against the wall there at the steam plant to catch shad with. In the spring time I like to get them about hand size so i can cut the guts out. I then sit on the walkway by the stairs to fish. You will loose some tackle but its usually worth it. Spinning real, 12 lbs. line fairly small hook and weight thats about 1/8-1/4 oz. Cast out about 20 yards and the current will drag it along. On most days you cant even try to fish with two poles this way cause you will get to many bites. Ive fished out there for about 18 years now and get some good sized cats this way. My biggest there has been around 15+ lbs. Average around 5 lbs. Keep in touch and we can do some fishing around this time as I will be back from Iraq for a few weeks. Hope this helps :cool2:

12. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    alright man thanks for the info. hope u get back safely from there.

13. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I've fished quite a bit under the bridge on Warfield between Dunbar Cave Road and Memorial Drive. I've caught some big fish on cut skipjack under that bridge. When the water is up and the current is rolling it's great fishing. Its a cool place to go when I dont want to drive far.

14. sleazyj187

sleazyj187 New Member

State:
    montana
    if you have a boat put in down there at the steam plant and anchor in in the little holes by the barges, i use shad fillets, they love them, good luck